Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Noro "Epidemic" Has Hit My Small Town; Too Cold to Sleep Outside. Help?

People are posting on Facebook about how their entire families have the stomach bug within the last couple days. My family insists on eating out at our local restaurants almost daily & I'm absolutely terrified one of them will catch it because people here don't have good hygiene or the sense to stay home when they've just been sick.

I'd normally pack a bag & head to the car, but with the temperatures in the freaking 30s it's too cold for me to do that. I have nowhere else to go but CANNOT stay in the same house with sick people...especially since I get diarrhea the minute I find out someone's sick & have to use the bathroom over & over. It's not like I can just stay in one room is my point. If I'm staying in the same house, I need to be able to lock myself away from sick people because they don't take it as seriously as I do & will just barge into my space. Basically, I HAVE NO CONTROL OVER MY SPACE & IT'S SCARING ME.

Should I try to pack a survival bag & stay outside in the car anyway? I don't know what else to do but I feel trapped and am panicking. (I haven't been on Facebook; it was my mom who told me). I'm about one step away from causing a huge argument w/ my family over this.

I know it hasn't happened yet but I would feel so much better if I had a plan. I'm in tears now. Thanks for listening.

Default Re: Noro "Epidemic" Has Hit My Small Town; Too Cold to Sleep Outside. Help?

Is there a friend or family member you could stay with for a couple of days if someone does get sick? I always have that plan in the back of my mind, too!

Default Re: Noro "Epidemic" Has Hit My Small Town; Too Cold to Sleep Outside. Help?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, no. Used to go to my grandma's house but she's gone. I've packed up all my stuff "just in case" I need to go to the car. We have a barn...maybe that'd be warmer. Hopefully it doesn't come to that. My poor OCD brother is picking up on my fears & bought a giant tub of Lysol wipes! I don't want this stupid fear to ruin anyone else. :\

I’m sorry to read that you can’t feel safe in your own home. I live in a small town too and everyone feels they have to post stuff on Facebook/Instagram, but I’ve realized people do dramatize for social media. Yes they may be sick but also too they may not. I definitely don’t recommend sleeping in your car! 30 degrees is cold! I’m a born and raised Vegas girl and anything under 60 is freezing lol! Are you able to get a hotel room or something? Even the barn wouldn’t be warm enough. We have a barn and I freeze there when we feed the horses and chickens. All this will calm down in a few days as families aren’t getting together anymore and spreading germs just because it’s the holidays. And I don’t know where you’re at but here in Vegas the kids don’t even go back to school till the 8th so plenty of time to let the virus die down some. There is advantages to small towns though if people are posting about being sick and work in the restaurant industry can you avoid those places?
    I do feel for you on how your brother has picked up on your habits, my oldest has too but I encourage him to change the habits and show him how I’ve changed mine. I try my hardest to look “normal” to my kids because I know they count on me and will learn from me.

Just curious why you go to your car? Only cause that is the first place I want to go to as well when anxious or feeling nauseous.