Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I知 really scared.

Last night I was burping like crazy and my stomach hurt and I was crying. I知 a teenager who has IBS and everyday I think something is different and worse. Today is another terrible day. I woke up and I went to the bathroom and I pooped almost like dirreah poops. It really scared me. I致e also been super grumpy this morning and not hungry. It makes me really scared. Everyday just keeps getting worse and worse and affecting aspects of my day that I love and I need some reassuring words of happiness. On Christmas I couldn稚 even be happy because I was associating all my gifts to how bad I was feeling. This is really ruining my life and I don稚 want to take this anymore. I keep associating things that I love with negative things. Like I got a shirt I致e wanted for a long time but I知 too scared to wear it. Having emetophobia is hard enough but I don稚 even know all the symptoms of it or all the feelings of IBS

Default Re: I知 really scared.

I'm with you on that. Christmas day I nearly v*d and even when I hear the C word now I just keep thinking of it..I have stockings full of gifts which remind me of the feeling and I feel like I ruined my families traditions.

Anyway, it's hard work but I'm working on a technique I was told about which fixates on seperating our thoughts with what is ACTUALLY happening.. So, when we fear food for example, cos we don't wanna feel sick etc, our anxious brain would say "ALERT! THIS IS GONNA MAKE ME SICK!" when actually, in most cases , our bodies need it. Unless of course we are already sick ..I spent four hours panicking the other day cos my stomach felt scarily weird and I refused to accept that it was cos I didn't drink or eat in 24 hrs. My boyfriend then told me "you'll end up throwing bile up anyway if you ARE sick".. So I drank and ate some crackers and felt millions better.

However, I get you... I feel horrible cos there's a gift my cousins got me which I opened when my stomach turned and its all I can think about
    Try remember that anxiety is mainly fears which don't come true 99% of the time, and that your gifts are all things to take your mind off our annoying phobia

I also deal with negative associations. Not just associated with emet either, any bad experiences with a place, person, or thing will cause me to avoid it for ages. If I work hard enough to replace that negative association with a positive one I can usually get rid of it. Definitely takes some effort though. Do you have a familiar comforting scent you can spray the shirt with?

Thanks guys. I made it though Christmas. Today is New Years Eve and I'm really nervous. My parents told not to ruin today since I kinda ruined Christmas Eve. It's making me really nervous, I feel like I can't have one normal Sunday. I dread Sundays and I feel like today is different. My stomach kind hurts and I had a green poop that was really soft. (sorry to those who really don't want to hear that.) I have a weird taste in my mouth and while I was fine eating a gogurt I tried to eat a quesadilla and I threw away cause I. couldn't do it. I also take multiple medications so that could have a factor in it but today (s I suppose I always say, it feels different) I have a weird feeling on the side of my throat and its really bugging me. I feel like I can't keep calm but. ih have to cause m parents really want to this New Years party tonight with me. A girl who v*d a few months ago gonna be there and I am so nervous I'm gonna ruin this for everybody

How did it go on New Year痴 Eve?

I know this is a late response so it won't help you with your New Year's fears, but I just want to tell you that no matter what happens or how you felt and how you reacted, you did NOT ruin anything. No matter what anyone tells you, you did not ruin anything.

I struggle with the same feeling and have said to my family so many times "I'm sorry for ruining [insert event here]" and they (thankfully) always reassure me that I didn't ruin anything because I can't help how I feel and what my fears are. And they are so right -- this is a horrible phobia and it DOES feel like we ruin things for ourselves and for others, but we need to not let ourselves get into that mindset because it only makes the phobia worse, as the phobia becomes tied to anxiety and panic not just over v* but over the phobia itself for fear of having it affect others.

It probably sounds like I'm full of nonsense, but I just wanted to say that. Hope you were able to enjoy your NYE and New Year's without too much anxiety.