Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default First emetophobia panic attack for ages

Hi, I haven't posted here for a while. I had emetophobia really bad about thirty years ago and over the years it has been up and down but not as bad as it was in the 1980s. The fear is always there, as many of you will know, but I am now able to eat normally (sometimes eating too much) and go about life generally. I tend to only panic when I actually feel sick but don't think about it all the time like I used to do. I do get migraines too and can usually just take a tablet and wait for it to go which it usually does and the nausea never turns to anything so I am able to cope with it.

However, yesterday, after a good Christmas with my family and eating normally, I got home and settled down to watch the telly after having a nice bath. I have had a cold recently but that has almost gone. I started to feel a migraine coming on so I had my usual tablet. I had even been eating some fudge before this which I love. I tried to settle down again but I felt this panic wash over me and I just couldn't lay there watching telly so I got up and paced about my flat (I live alone by the way), I had a really bad panic attack, was hot over and then, the worse part which really sent me over the edge and something I haven't had for years, my mouth started watering, just as it does when you are about to V. I went in my bedroom, laid on my bed trying to supress it, I even actually heaved at one stage as I couldn't stop it but nothing happened. Eventually I fell asleep and woke up at 11.00 am this morning. I don't feel sick anymore but I am terrified of it coming on again and of getting the full blown fear again and it restricting my life in certain ways.

I am on leave from work at the moment, am needing to go out and get food. I am usually one who hates staying in and will go out no matter what but I now I am feeling wary of going out. I am fine with living on my own but when this comes on it makes me feel more vulnerable. I guess I need to make myself go out and also eating something as I haven't eaten since yesterday morning.

Default Re: First emetophobia panic attack for ages

When the panic attack hits I highly recommend trying mindfulness. It helps me a ton. If you look on youtube you can find a lot of guided exercises. Practice a lot when you ar enot having a panic attack so your body is better trained for it.

It could have been the migraine AND the migraine med. That can make me feel very hot and generally yucky.

Thanks for your replies. The migraine meds usually suit me fine. I do sometimes try mindfulness but find it hard when I am having a full blown panic attack but I will keep at it.

I get really bad panic attacks from my emet too, and it's only been over the past several months that I've gotten them under control. In the worst period, I would have a minimum of 1 per evening/night, and sometimes two. If I woke up in the middle of the night, that was enough to send me in to a major panic. I'm not really sure how I managed to get them under control, but I think part of it has been just knowing that I always make it through them without anything (ie v*) happening.

I also take lorazepam when I'm having a bad one, which helps settle the more typical panic attack symptoms like shaking and not being able to breathe. I also use peppermint oil (diluted in carrier oil) behind my ears, under my nose, on my stomach, and the bottoms of my feet. This helps with nausea (whether real or imagined), and gives me something tangible I can do to cope. I don't know if it is a placebo effect or not but it definitely helps with n* and panic attacks.

I also like having go-to distractions for when I feel one coming on or am trying to make an attack end. For me, that's having a tv show on in the background while I do something with my hands like fold clothes I've stuffed in drawers, organize something, or do a jigsaw or crossword puzzle. Maybe if you find something like this to keep somewhat busy when you're on the verge of panicking, it will help.

I hope things get better for you and you are able to manage the attacks. They really are soul-draining and so debilitating.