Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy I Hate This Time of Year :(

I hate this time of the year when it seems like everyone is ill. I always feel as if I have my emetophobia fairly under control until this time of year rolls around. :/

So anyways, today I took my nephew to a public play place. I was really, really nervous to do so because of my anxiety, but I tried to push thoughts aside so that I can live my life and have a fun day with my nephew. I also told myself I would be very careful and wash my hands a lot.

I did wash my hands a lot and I was careful, but I'm feeling nervous now because I didn't think about my phone! I put it down in so many places and did not sanitize it

Am I doomed? I am so nervous now!!! I took a shot of apple cider vinegar and drank a glass of grape juice because I've heard it helps. Ugh...

Default Re: I Hate This Time of Year :(

I totally get you. It seems like everyone is getting it right now and it really sucks.

I just got through a huge scare because our family friend had it and now my stepfather has it. My mom (she's an emet, too) is disinfecting everything and I'm luckily not staying there but i'm still so nervous, because I think it's everywhere. And my sisters might get it, because they're not careful at all...

But it's like that every year and we rarely get it (if ever) and I don't think you'll end up getting it. If you wash your hands and mantain good hygiene, you are almost in the clear. Well, not almost, YOU ARE in the clear. It's not everywhere and you just think it is, because you focus on it so much.

So long as you keep up with your hand hygiene, you are fine. Wiping your phone down with a disninfecting wipe nightly doesn’t hurt either. I work in a school and those two methods have worked just fine for me for the past 8 years.

I hate it too. I feel like my anxiety is through the roof, and I start getting panic attacks again after I feel like I've had them under control in what I consider the "non-sv*" season. I had to travel today since I was home for Christmas, and now I have 3 days of agonizing over whether I could have caught something on the plane or in the airport.

My office space has 25 people who share 1 bathroom, and the bathroom is only cleaned once per week. Normally we have 15 people but we have extra staff for a few months in order to complete a big project. I don't know how (or think that I can) survive it. This time of year is terrifying and I agree that this year seems particularly bad when it comes to hearing about people who are s*.

I am a teacher and today was our first day back to school after Christmas break. While I didn’t have many kids absent, I heard a lot of stories from my students about how they or their friends had the sv over break. The icing on the cake was when one of my 8th graders told me he came in late today because he v three times last night. I asked him why he didn’t stay home he replied that his parents wouldn’t let him. Now my anxiety is also in overdrive because this sick kid was in my classroom for 80 minutes today. He didn’t look sick but he’s not one to make things up so I’m sure he was telling me the truth. It seems to really be going around right now. Ugh!