Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation **Coping Strategies**

Hi Everyone!

My older brother has come down with some sort of SV and we use the same bathroom. I know he is NOT diligent about handwashing and my family has no idea about my emetophobia. What are some of your coping strategies? I have realized that my fear has developed more into the fear of v* in public and embarrassing myself. I understand that most people do not get THAT embarrassed about doing it in front of other people, but for me, it is my worst nightmare. I could really just use some support right now :)

Default Re: **Coping Strategies**

I'm sorry to hear this
    Just stay as isolated as you can and go ten times more OTT with hygiene, I'm talking bleach and washing up gloves...

Aside from that you should be fine, hope he gets well soon

I appreciate the response. The trouble I have is that my parents have absolutely no idea how bad the emetophobia is for me. They will think I’m crazy if I start using bleach and gloves! I have isolated myself completely, though

I would recommend telling your parents, if you can. Maybe your brother will be more deligent with his hygiene if you express to him how much it means to you and what it means for you anxiety.

My boyfriend is the same way, we both made New Years resolutions for our relationship. Mine is to work on my emetophobia and his is to be more deligent with hand washing before eating and after the restroom. I even heard him singing “happy birthday” twice while he washed after he used the bathroom yesterday.

Coping strategy: meet your discomfort, and relax in it. Don’t try to run away from your anxiety. Meet it with compassion and understanding. Acknowledge it is a part of your thoughts, but don’t allow yourself to ruminate on it. Pena Chodren writes fantastic books that I have found really apply to anxiety in general and this specific phobia.

Are you not worried about contracting it at home? Are you afraid to V* in private?