Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Would it help us if we knew for sure when we would vomit?

If we knew the telltale signs that we were about to vomit, would it alleviate some, if not all, of our anxiety. For example: The two symptoms I remember from last time I v* was unbearable stomach pain, and my stomach gurgling. So, now certain gurgles make me panic. If my stomach hurts a bit, that could also make me panic. Then, I have read the symptoms: excessive mouth watering and a sweet tasting saliva. Last time I got sick I somehow knew because I asked my grandfather if I would v*. Of course now, I don’t remember, so every little stomach discomfort makes me panic.

Default Re: Would it help us if we knew for sure when we would vomit?

There is no one perfectly telltale sign. Sometimes people don't know they're sick until they see a stream of vomit flying away from their faces. You know some of them that could indicate vomiting is imminent, but unfortunately these signs give emets a lot of false positives. For me, I like to take my temperature. The only times I've puked or even come close to it, my temperature was high. When I measure and see I'm 97.0, it gives me comfort. Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The temperature thing also freaks me out so much so that I'm sure that I've convinced myself I'm feeling n* when I'm not at all...summer is a nightmare in that sense 😖😖😖

Watery mouth, favorite foods making one n*, dizziness to the extreme — these are some signs of imminent v* to normal people. But emets have a weird ability to stop from v* even when these telltale signs happen. I know I have experienced all of them and still not v*. I suspect for emets it’s far harder to tell because we will do anything to stop it.

Im thinking some people yes but others they would wait to feel those feelings. I think I would.

Quote Originally Posted by rexymeteorite View Post
    Watery mouth, favorite foods making one n*, dizziness to the extreme — these are some signs of imminent v* to normal people. But emets have a weird ability to stop from v* even when these telltale signs happen. I know I have experienced all of them and still not v*. I suspect for emets it’s far harder to tell because we will do anything to stop it.
    It makes me wonder if this ability would go away if we got rid of our Emetophobia.. Of course, the biggest telltale sign that occurs right before it happens is heaving
    Last edited by Theshadow; 01-19-2018 at 11:45 PM.

You are so right!! We do everything and anything to stop it! For example, a few weeks ago I woke up during the night and I was so thirsty. I chugged some water, layed back down and just felt off. I got a sick feeling come over me but I wasn’t sure if it was sickness or just my anxiety. I got out of bed and then all the signs were coming. The cold and clammy skin, shakes, heart racing. I knew I could have v* but instead I did everything in my power to stop it which thankfully I did after a good 20 min of awfulness. Sometimes I think it would just be easier to v* than to try and stop it from happening and putting ourselves though that all the time

I don’t think knowing would help us. If we know for sure that we are about to v*, we would still panic as we do when we think we will but are unsure. If we don’t know and it happens, then it happens. It’s much easier to say in a rational state of mind but it’s true. It just happens and it’s done.

The last time I ended up V* I randomly got up from laying down on the couch and started to hiccup and burp. Burping seems to my number 1 sign I'm going to throw up. Not just you're normal burps but weird type of burps I can't really explain. I've been wondering if different signs of vomiting is actually related to the sickness you have?

That wasn't hiccuping; it was retching. Read about the mechanics of vomiting in my FAQ: http://emetophobia.scienceontheweb.net/vomiting.html
    To learn more about emetophobia, see