Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Haven't thrown up since I was 8

The main reason I have this phobia is because I rarely threw up even as a child, and the last time it happened was when I was 8 years old. My friends tell me I'm lucky because I'm never nauseous, but it also sucks because when it does happen, it feels like the most awful thing ever and I start panicking. I don't have avoidances to food, places etc, and I don't panic when other people throw up, but I can't do it myself.
    My friends have been telling me that you feel better after v-ing, and I know that it must be true. I felt nauseous the other day and tried to let myself v, but in the end I chickened out and took Domperidone, and the nausea went away. From Google I saw that emetophobia was a fear of losing control, but for me I just want to avoid discomfort.
    I'm very concerned for myself because I don't want a reliance on any medication, and I also want to have children in the future. How do I conquer this fear?
    Sorry for rambling

Default Re: Haven't thrown up since I was 8

Yeah, I don’t want to rely on my gravol either whenever I feel nauseas. I wish I could just “let it happen”.

Default Re: Haven't thrown up since I was 8

Honestly, I was almost as young as you when it last happened but I think it's all mind set, you make a good point about avoiding discomfort rather than fearing loss of control..I often chicken out of explanation with this fear and just tell people it's a control issue but I don't think it is..it's just uncomfortable...

Perhaps the next time you feel unwell, even if it's rare, you can practice dealing with it more and more each time..I've started to not rely on my go-to remedies as much as I'm scared the effect won't work but maybe marking your sick feeling out of ten will help, I.e. 4/10...6/10.. I try let myself get to 7/10 before I have mints to ease it or else I just try fighting it with fresh air and pure distraction. You're very lucky to never feel sick though!