Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Influenza A

Default Influenza A

There’s a BAD outbreak of the flu virus in my county. About 2,000 people are reported to be sick at this very moment and unfortunately for me and my sister, my mom happened to be one of the many people who have fallen victim to the virus.

Yesterday morning, she woke up just fine. No issues, nothing! Then she went to go see my grandma and when she came home? She was really sick! Coughing, sweating, running nose, etc. She swore up & down she was just having really bad allergies, which I knew wasn’t true.

Today, she went to the doctor’s and came back.. the results? Influenza A. Mind you, I was sitting in the bed next to her & my sister while she was coughing & sneezing. She may not have done that in our direction but we definitely touched things she touched & we’re more than likely going to get infected.

*Sigh*.. this is why I have trust issues with my mom. She just assumes and runs with her assumptions. She doesn’t take the time to see what’s really going on before she tells us what’s wrong.

Well she told us that her doctor was going to be sending in something for me & my sister that’s supposed to prevent us from catching it but I don’t know if there are medicines that can do that, are there?

Anyways, my aunt said that type A is the worst one. I’m an emetophobe, of course, so my question is.. how big are my chances of vomiting if/when I start showing symptoms? And how can I prevent it from happening? I’m 18, 5’7, and around 119 lbs (lost weight due to fear) if it matters. My sister is 15, 5’1, and 124 lbs.

My mom doesn’t seem to be sick to her stomach and I’m really hoping that’s the case for me as well.

Default Re: Influenza A

Sorry to hear you’re in this situation.
    Yes, you can take Tamiflu at the onset of flu symptoms or following exposure to decrease the severity and length of symptoms. It is an anti-viral medication.
    The likelihood of v when ill with influenza is very low in adults. It’s more common in babies who can’t tolerate fevers.

That’s what we were given. My answer to that is “Thanks but no thanks.” I’d rather not take my chances with that. Nausea & vomiting are one of the most common side effects of taking it, so I’d rather not risk it.

Thanks for your answer. I’m rather confused with my condition, though. I’m dealing with a very persistent sore throat, along with the chills, headache, and tightness in my muscles. I’ve been dealing with it since last night and every other symptom, aside from the sore throat & headache, comes & goes, it isn’t consistently happening.

Those sound like flu symptoms. Did you get a flu shot this year? If not, you probably caught it from her.

Sounds like my whole family right now! I’m on day 4 and honestly I wish I had gone into the dr and got tamiflu because I feel horrendous. I’d probably feel better if I was able to sleep good but caring for a 7 year old with the flu has deprived me, checking on her every two hours just in case...yep I’m THAT Mom. Hallelujah for the weekend and the “not” sick Dad to be home who has slept all day today lol. And honestly even if you got the flu jab they are saying it is not covering this strain of flu. We personally never get the flu shot. My hubby and daughter are allergic and we aren’t for all the vaccines (please keep your opinions to yourselves) so we just do all we can to maintain a healthy lifestyle. And tbh my 7 year old has had the least symptoms, 1 day of high fevers and bad sore throat and ear pressure and then it’s just hovered right at 100 and she’s running around like a chicken with its head cut off. Me I’d do just about anything for even a half a day of energy! Feel better, lots of rest, fluids, vitamins and good food into your body!
    Last edited by CMM811; 01-13-2018 at 02:28 AM.

I DID get the flu shot but the doctor I went to yesterday had told me you’re not protected against strain A. After taking a Tylenol and Zyrtec, I had some soup JUST IN CASE either one of them caused nausea. I got tired pretty quickly and fell asleep around 4 PM. I woke up to text my girlfriend only for me to fall back asleep right after, as you can imagine, she’s a little mad at me for that lol.

I woke up around 10:55 PM & my sore throat has vanished & is only scratchy. I’m very congested in the bottom of my throat, feel like I have bubbles in there. Very uncomfortable feeling, I should add.

But yeah, before taking the medication, while at the doctor, I told him the rest of my symptoms are mostly gone & only come back for a short time & are usually very minor. He says I’m at the tail end of it so I guess I had a very mild/minor case as I’m feeling much better. Only now, I’m also dealing with a cough due to the congestion in my throat.

But other than that, I would think I should be symptom-free by tomorrow evening. Maybe Monday.

I got to sleep 11 hours finally and feel a load better today myself. Unfortunately moms don’t get sick days especially during the week when daddy works lol. I still have tons of congestion but have been taking sudafed and doing nasal rinses with essential oils to help clear it out. My daughter is fine as long as she has some sort of medicine in her and hubby is on day 2 but is feeling better thanks to all the sleep he gets haha! This thing was no joke. My son was here for 2 days of it and he didn’t get it, thank god because at his dads house he has a newborn sister. Then again we’ve had the flu in our house I want to say 3-5 times and this is the only time, besides one other time when my daughter was 3 and I had to take care of her and sleep with her, my son has had it twice and shared with no one. My daughter had it 2 years ago, flu A and B together and didn’t share thankfully. Just continue with lots of fluids and rest and a decongestant and you’ll feel better soon!

Hope you’re feeling better now! This is my.. 5th day, I believe? And well my throat is completely back to normal. No soreness or scratchiness. I am still pretty heavily congested & I do have a cough that isn’t as persistent as it used to be, thankfully. I’m also dealing with a running nose but other than that, I’m feeling pretty good!

That’s awesome! I still have major congestion but I have sinus issues. My daughter has up and down days, still haven’t sent her back to school tomorrow is her 7th day I think? I lost track of time. I finally got out and about form my house today and while it kicked my butt it felt good. Hubby is all the way back to normal with just random sinus pressure, man I was o could sleep like dad’s get to sleep lol!

Sounds like you had a really mild case, probably because you had the flu shot. While the flu shot doesn’t always prevent all strains of influenza, it often makes cases a lot milder and shorter. Yay modern medicine! 😝

Quote Originally Posted by redastrid View Post
    Sounds like you had a really mild case, probably because you had the flu shot. While the flu shot doesn’t always prevent all strains of influenza, it often makes cases a lot milder and shorter. Yay modern medicine! 
    Yes and the current strain that's getting many sick is the H3N3. There are many strains and the most common forms of A and B are covered in the vaccine, but H3N3 does not replicate well in bird eggs so at this time isn't covered well. But getting the vaccine, like you said, can reduce symptoms. I second the yay modern medicine comment. : )
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream