Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Norovirus

Default Norovirus

Hi All,

I’m new here. I’ve been terrified of getting sick and seeing others get sick since I was probably 8 and I am now 28. I have a two year old daughter and I will say I am able to help her when she is sick. I have only v* 3 times in my life, twice from high school drinking and once from food poisoning. It’s been over 10 years and I am beyond terrified of it. My daughter started v* in the middle of the night Wednesday, and my husband started early evening on Thursday . We were both in the car with him on the highway during part of the v* and I was in the back seat horrified trying to keep my daughter from crying and holding my ears. My mom came to my house Friday and watched my daughter at her house all day. She came down with it last night in Mexico. I have not gotten it and I am beyond terrified of getting it. Both of our bathrooms have been bleached, dishes sanitized, laundry washed, all knobs/light switches etc cleaned with Lysol lll, husband’s car sanitized, etc. How often do I need to keep cleaning? I have been sleeping in the guest room since Thursday night, and have been taking extreme precauations by keeping my toiletries separated, using the “clean” bathroom, washing my hands religiously (they hurt), and keeping my hands away from my face? Any tips, facts, etc? Ah!!!! TIA!

Default Re: Norovirus

I am so sorry your family is being hit so hard. First of all, you are doing LITERALLY everything right. The fact that you didn't get it is yet is a great sign, as it appears to have a super short incubation period - 24 hours or less. It is now Sunday, so I imagine your daughter and hubby are better? Once they are done being sick, a good bleaching and washing of linens is all you need. Don't forget tv remotes, door knobs, light switches, etc.

You may have dodged it cleanly this time. And welcome! I am a mom too (my son is almost 11) and it definitely makes parenting challenging, but it is doable and you can be strong for your kiddo while being a panicked mess. I promise, when push comes to shove, the love for your child is stronger than the fear you feel inside.

Quote Originally Posted by mdgirl1977 View Post
    I am so sorry your family is being hit so hard. First of all, you are doing LITERALLY everything right. The fact that you didn't get it is yet is a great sign, as it appears to have a super short incubation period - 24 hours or less. It is now Sunday, so I imagine your daughter and hubby are better? Once they are done being sick, a good bleaching and washing of linens is all you need. Don't forget tv remotes, door knobs, light switches, etc.

You may have dodged it cleanly this time. And welcome! I am a mom too (my son is almost 11) and it definitely makes parenting challenging, but it is doable and you can be strong for your kiddo while being a panicked mess. I promise, when push comes to shove, the love for your child is stronger than the fear you feel inside.

I really appreciate the response. Thank you! What are your thoughts on laundry and dishes when sv is in your house?

Sorry for the delayed response:

When someone is sick (it's just my son and I), I revert to paper and plastic everything. I also wash all linens in hot water, twice. That's it. And, of course, hand washing and using clorox hydrogen peroxide wipes (get on amazon, they kill noro and aren't stinky).

Did you end up staying healthy?

Quote Originally Posted by mdgirl1977 View Post
    Sorry for the delayed response:

When someone is sick (it's just my son and I), I revert to paper and plastic everything. I also wash all linens in hot water, twice. That's it. And, of course, hand washing and using clorox hydrogen peroxide wipes (get on amazon, they kill noro and aren't stinky).

Did you end up staying healthy?

Thanks! I sure did!