Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default How does it feel to vomit? (Extremely graphic)

A few people on this website may never have been sick, or can't remember exactly how it feels. I was sick lately and these were my exact symptoms!

(My symptoms, not necessarily everyone's sympstoms)

***GRAPHIC WARNING***

24hrs before vomiting:

Loss of appetite, sometimes a slight fever (varies from person to person). I myself had diarrhea.

10hrs before vomiting:

Waves of nausea. Watery diarrhea. Definite loss of appetite.

6hrs before vomiting:

Quite bad nausea, stomach dropping. Now at this point, my diarrhea seemed to stop. I also dry wretched a few times. This was probably the point i just knew 'it' was going to happen.

1hr before vomiting

Bad nausea. Dry wretching. Sometimes a sore throat, excess saliva in mouth. Stomach cramping. Fever. Body aches.

5minutes before.

This was a weird point of vomiting for me, because most of the symptoms kind of disappeared for a couple minutes.But I still had excess saliva, body aches, and was now in the bathroom waiting for it to happen.

'The Moment'

About a minue before, I got really, really hot and shaky and then got this massive wave of nausea and my stomach dropped. I dry wretched heaps then finally, I felt warm liquid rushing up my throat, and then it just kind of came out in a whoosh! It's really not that bad.

After vomiting:

Once I was done throwing up, I was just really tired and had body aches and still a bit of nausea. And a fever.

I know this post was really gross, but I wanted to explain my exact symptoms.

Default Re: How does it feel to vomit? (Extremely graphic)

The timeline is not nearly that long. For most people, what you report happening 24 hours before happens 1 hour before.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

never had a bug that stretched vomiting out that long

I concur, the timelines don’t seem to match noro or any other sudden onset gastroenteritis I have ever heard of. Could be salmonella or E. coli, those have longer incubation periods but symptoms usually last longer than that. 3-7 days for most cases of salmonella, 1 week to 10 days for E. coli. They are fairly rare but you could have had one of those, or a respiratory bug. High fever along with post nasal drip and coughing hard could induce a round or two of v*.

The SV that I caught from a coworker a few weeks ago was like this. I didn't vomit until 8 hours after initial onset of symptoms. Not everybody handles viruses the same.

I got sick a couple days before last Halloween - before that I hadn't been sick for 20 years. I'm guessing it was noro since EVERYBODY around me got it as well, but I don't know for sure. It was weird for me because I felt fine all evening then starting feeling "weird" maybe 8 or 9pm...I couldn't tell if I was hungry and wanted more soup or not, but something stopped me. I went to bed feeling a little odd and then woke up around midnight feeling awful.

Since I hadn't been sick in so long, I didn't really know what nausea felt like - I've felt seasick on boats, but this didn't really feel like that. I just felt a weird tightness in my stomach area and a lot of panic/anxiety. Since this is actually not at all uncommon for me (and because it was Sunday night when it's not unusual for me to feel panicky about going back to work in the morning), I was like oh whatever, I feel weird but it's probably just anxiety and I just wish I could go to sleep. I remember trying to think of food and while it didn't seem appealing it also didn't make me feel worse, if that makes sense.

The main difference I noticed was that I couldn't look at any screens. I can't even really describe it - but when I tried to make a panic post, or play games/surf the web to calm down I couldn't look at my phone or computer for more than a minute without feeling like I needed to close it immediately (since then I've used this as a test of whether it's anxiety or sickness haha). I also felt MUCH worse every time I moved/turned - the only position that made me feel okay was almost sitting up - laying on my side made me feel extremely bad (usually if I'm having indigestion or gas laying on my left side is noticeably more comfortable). Rubbing/massaging my abdomen did not make me feel better, only worse (it tends to help with gas/anxiety-related things).

WARNING: GRAPHIC AHEAD

At some point, around 3am, it got much worse - I kept feeling like I needed to burp but could feel stuff coming up when I tried to, and then I had some instinct that I just needed to sit up and it was going to happen. I was hot and I could feel stuff rising in my throat even though I kept trying to swallow it. I tried to breathe and tell myself to just let go, but turns out that didn't really work and when it finally came I (GROSS) swallowed most of it back instinctually. This gave me an EXTREMELY sore throat for about 10 minutes and I didn't actually feel better, so I went to sit by the toilet for like another 2 hours, feeling convinced it was going to happen again. It didn't (I felt really nauseous, but I never felt that "rise" again) and the whole next day I felt like I'd been run over by a car - horrendous body aches, chills and hot flashes.

At this point I still felt low-key nauseous, and the thought/look/smell of food made me feel worse. After that came the pounding headache, then the dizziness/weakness/fatigue. I didn't feel truly better till about the next Friday, and this all happened early Monday morning. I think part of that might be that I let myself get dehydrated somehow (even though I didn't have diarrhea nor did I actually even really throw up all the way...)

Anyway, I only wrote all this out because I think I would have found this useful to read before I got sick. The week I was sick I felt like my emet was 1000x worse, that I could never have imagined feeling so horrible or that getting a sv would be so horrible. But after that I feel like it's decreased so much in terms of the anticipatory fear - I still FREAK out if I feel sick, or if someone near me is, but I'm not constantly thinking about it when I'm at work or at the store, etc. In that way I guess I'm grateful - I just hope I don't have to get it again anytime soon!

Thank you op, and mess_of_a_dreamer (cold as you reference??) for making these posts. It's been about 15/16 years for me (I'm 22), so that's one of my anxieties related to emet; that I won't know when it's going to happen because I don't really remember what it feels like.

Trust me you will know. The last time I v I felt very n for about 8 hours and had been having water d for most of the time. Prior to this incident I hadn’t v in about 15 years. Although it had been so long since I’d last v I remembered the feeling as soon as it came on.

Everyone reacts different to the stomach virus. I remember twice in my life, having it drawn out. Thirteen years ago when my kids were young, they all had the sv. vomiting, diarrhea, fevers, etc. Two days later I caught it-- I felt off and nothing sounded good at all to eat. It made me feel worse just smelling and thinking of food. I started getting waves of nausea for literally a whole day and a half. My major symptoms didn't start until night-time. I had extreme diarrhea and vomited twice. I had body aches, etc., for another whole day, once the vomiting/diarrhea stopped. I know for a fact I had the sv because I caught it from my kids who got it at school. Everyone' body fights off viruses differently. Think of it this way-- a person with a strong/healthy immune system may get the bug and fight it quicker than some people with weakened immune systems. My immunity sucked when my body tried fighting that virus. A lot of people fight the virus within 24 to 48 hours but some just can't.

I can't remember a time were my stomach virus was drawn out for more than 24hours. Since the posts on the thread seem to go into detail, I may as well too.

I had this bug which seemed to only last around 20 hours. The symptoms came on the night before, I didn't get any diarrhea though. The vomiting started at around 11 AM and the symptoms started at about 10PM. It was really bad, I projectile vomited at least once every two hours for the rest of the day. Around 7PM The symptoms started to fade and I didn't vomit again.
    Be easy to love,
    Hard to break,
    and Impossible to forget!

It's thankfully been a while for me but I remember the last two bugs I got...one in 2001 and the other in 2002... The 2001 one was horrific..I had lunch around 12:45 and was exposed by a girl who was v* in the canteen on the same day and at around 1:30 I started to feel very ill.. I sat in art class feeling really rough and at around 230 i asked my teacher continuously "please call my mom" and as school finished at 3 she told me to hold on til hometime.. that afternoon DRAGGED. I then went to dance class (we dropped my friend off as she always went with me) and it happened whilst we got to the reception..fair play to my 8 year old self though, I didn't know of emetophobia or anxiety so I remember going home...resting like a normal human haha ... And I literally felt hungry the next day .. not sure why I'm writing this but the feeling is imminent from what I remember... The heat rush is always what I tend to get too... Nearly happened last January and on Christmas 2017 :/