Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Am I being irrational or is sickness inevitable?

I go walking a LOT throughout the day as there usually isn’t much else to do (I’m waiting on a call for a job I applied for and am waiting for the spring semester to start for college). I usually walk once in the morning, twice in the afternoon, once in the early evening (between 5-7 PM) and then once in the night (between 8-10 PM).

While going on my nightly walk, I accidentally stepped in dog poop. I instantly got angry, as I not only barely washed my shoes a couple days ago, I knew my anxiety would skyrocket.
    I basically decided to scrape my shoe against the sidewalk and continue on. I walked back and forth twice. Now, the poop was on the back bottom of my right shoe, and while I was walking back to my house, I started, inconveniently, getting this painful itchy sensation in my right leg above my ankle. I made the dumb decision of using my left shoe to try scratching it and being that I was walking back, that basically means my left shoe was touching everywhere that my right shoe was (Oh God, I’m actually cringing at how irrational I’m likely sounding right now as I type this).

After a few failed attempts, I decided to say screw it and scratch it with my left hand. I put my arm all the way down my pants to that area and scratched it. At this point, I’m nervous that I basically transferred whatever the hell is was on my left shoe to my left hand, and I then subconsciously touched my phone with both hands. I possibly scratched my head too afterwards.

Once I got inside, I made sure to wash my hands a lot. Of course I still ended up touching the same areas I touched before washing my hands and ended up subconsciously touching the upper rims of my glasses while I wore them, my eyebrows, and my cheeks. I also ended up scratching my head a lot and when I decided to wash my hands again, a tiny water drop actually bounced off my hand and hit me directly in the lip.

Now, my brain has pretty much been wired to look at every situation as a worst case scenario, therefore, I’m under the impression that I exposed myself to norovirus and am going to get it for sure now. The reason being is because I saw an article that dogs can transfer noro to humans, I can’t tell you if that’s true or not, but it’s in my nature to act as if it is (it was posted on this website btw). If noro isn’t the case then I could’ve more than likely given myself salmonella or e.coli, right?

Ugh. I hate that I’m constantly getting in these types of situations. This has been the worst year of my life and the last thing I need is to spend the next few days puking my guts out into a toilet.. FML

Default Re: Am I being irrational or is sickness inevitable?

If you wash your hands before eating or putting them in your mouth, you will be fine. It can't hurt you when it's just on your skin, whether it be possible noro or salmonella.