Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Okay, I'm am so frustrated with this whole phobia that I have been temped to "treat myself at home" by self-inducing V* (not through ipecac). I don't even know if I am capable of doing such a thing, but I am desperate to try ANYTHING that would help me *regain control* over my fear of V*. I would literally set myself up a few days in advance and know what I was going to be V* and when and where it would happen so I could better "live in the moment" and get over the fear of the taste, smell, sound, etc... of myself doing the act.

I am trying to tell myself that if I V* once, even if intentionally, that I will know what it feels like and will not be as scared if it happens again (even if on accident) because I will have something to base it upon.

Now... there is one other twist to this --- What if the experience I place upon myself to induce V* makes me more terrified? That is where I'm catching myself in a hard spot.

Am I really insane here?!!!?
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The idea of inducing vomiting to be cured has been argued against time and again on this forum, so I doubt that you'll get many supporters.

If you go just a couple of threads down, you'll find that sage says the following:

"I say in my academic paper: "getting an emetophobe to vomit is like telling asexual assaultvictim they have to have a goal of non-consentual sex so they get over it..."...crazy."

I personally think inducing vomitting can go either way- but doing so without undergoing any other sort of treatment or the support of a therapist can be dangerous.

There are people on this board who have vomitted in the past little while- yet still have this fear. If you don't address how and why you have this phobia, and the thought processes which allow/reinforce it, I don't think the route of inducing vomitting will be successful. If anything, it can serve to reinforce it.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I am just desperate at this point and I know my issue of emet revolves around control. I think making myself V* might reduce my fear of controlled V* situations, but I don't think it will address the involuntary nature of what it is like to V* (which is where my fear is deepest).

I am really grateful for any and all imput on this topic. I know it is debateable and that is why I'm curious.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --

Maybe this is a graphic post - not sure.

I guess that I'm not following what you are saying here. You say that making yourself vomit will reduce your fear of controlled vomiting situations. But there aren't any controlled vomiting situations except the ones where you will force yourself to vomit. I meanwhat do you mean by acontrolled vomiting situation?

Also, if you do not use ipecac, then (sorry to be graphic), but what will you use? Your finger?

I know that you're desperate. I can tell by reading your posts. I feel sad to hear that you are so desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by purpleteacher

I am just desperate at this point and I know my issue of emet revolves around control. I think making myself V* might reduce my fear of controlled V* situations, but I don't think it will address the involuntary nature of what it is like to V* (which is where my fear is deepest).

I am really grateful for any and all imput on this topic. I know it is debateable and that is why I'm curious.

Purple, don't do it! I tried it, with ipecac, about 3 years ago, and it was horrid! I had four rounds of vomiting, and threw up a total of 11 times. It sucked! It just made my fear even worse. I'm in therapy now, and that seems to be the better way to go about getting cured, at least for me.
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

Purple,

I echo everything said above, of course. However, in your case, if you really want to try it (and DON'T use any sort of emetic substance) then you could try, and it would probably not make you worse. Those who try ipecac, and then are "victim" to the vomiting always get worse, not better. If you tried your finger, you probably wouldn't even succeed, as your fear would stop you from being sick. But if you tried something like that it probably wouldn't be re-traumatizing.

I still stick by my convictions that it wouldn't help your phobia one little bit.

If you're so desperate, then do everything you can to seek proper treatment. Sell your tv, move to a smaller place, get a second job....brainstorm ideas with yourself or someone else so that you can figure it out.

Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

You must first realize that for the majority of emet sufferers, the phobia itself is not the root cause for our problems, it is merely just another symptom of our underlying anxiety disorder. Exposure therapy may work for someone that suffers only from the phobia of the specific act of v* itself. But I'm not so sure you can cure any illness by inducing it's symptoms. If you read through the posts of most of the individuals on this site you can see pretty easily that most of us have patterns and habits that point to something far more complicated than just the act of v*. I'm not so sure that even if you did somehow move past the fear of v* that the underlying cause wouldn't manifest itself in some other disorder or phobia. Remember sufferers from other phobias go through just as much fear and anxiety as we do. Don't let me forget to mention that having an experienced therapist makes all the difference. Emet is the number 5 most common phobia but it also seems to one of the phobias that therapists have the least experience in treating.
    A special thank you to my daughter Alyssa. Your strength and courage gives me great inspiration. Where I am weak, you are strong. I will always love you.

Hey struggle,

Where can I find that emet is one of the five most common phobias? I need it to convince my therapist.

Thanks,

pumpkin
    \"Cast all your anxiety on Him for He cares for you.\"
    1 Peter 5:7
    Pumpkin

I agree, my phobia has been significantly better(although not cured) after being treated for Generalized Anxiety disorder with medication. (Lexapro)

Pumpkin- it depends on what list you look at. This site has it listed as 5th- in other lists I have seen it ranked as 7th:

http://www.phobia-fear-release.com/t...t-common-phobi as.html

http://www.exn.ca/Stories/2004/03/22/51.asp?t=dp

*amber*

pumpkin,

go to the sticky post at the top of this thread where you'll find my article entitled something like "INFO TO GIVE YOUR DR. OR FAMILY". It's pretty scholarly, and you can print it out and give it to your therapist.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.