Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default GERD/Sleep problems. Help!

Hi loves! It's been awhile. I have a problem (or 9,000) I'm pretty sure I have GERD. I can't sleep without waking up literally choking on acid. No matter the medicine, or sleeping position or empty stomach, it still happens! Tonight the dreaded 'it' happened. I woke up choking and couldn't catch my breath. I coughed myself into 'v' and now I'm absolutely terrified. I already have horrible insomnia, but with this happening, I'm literally scared to sleep. Any suggestions?
    Don’t let your mind bully your body...

Default Re: GERD/Sleep problems. Help!

Hi. If your GERD symptoms are this severe you really need to see a doctor. Feel better soon.

I'm going to, I'm just so scared.

Hey, I know I'm late, but I know how you feel! I have really bad acid reflux/GERD. i can't sleep with it. I have to pace and take lots of zantac and pepto bismol / peppermint to neutralize anything. It takes around 6-7 hours for it to go away. Don't lay down when you have it. Sit up. Zantac is a godsend for anything like this.
    Fortumately, I usually only experience d* and n*, not v* so far, knock on wood. I have it at the moment, but its finally going away. Breathing. exercises help ne stop panicking! Water is also really great. Sip it as well.
    Best wishes! ❤

Hi, I have silent reflux, no heartburn or anything. I have really raised my bed and sleep with two pillows. Also, I have a handful of almonds before bed as the last thing. Almonds are supposed to help neutralize the acid. You could try it. Some say apple cider vinegar helps, it's just hard to take the taste...good luck!!
    "In nothing be anxious....." Phil. 4:6