Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

It may be that I am not thinking straight after being ill,or maybe V*ing last night was the first step,but suddenly I feel that I want to fight emetophobia and learn to cope with it.

I have had emet for as long as I can remember and do not know where it came from at all. I do know that it has contributed to the shyness and lack of confidence that I have always suffered with.

When I was young I never wanted friends to play in my bedroom in case they V*. My bedroom was my safe room. If my sister or parents v* I would always hide in my room shaking and crying until it was over. I never enjoyed school trips as there was always a chance of someone being travel sick on the way. Guide camps were the worst. I remember once that half the guides came down with a sv and it was awful Nowhere to hide from all the v* sounds. This was enough to make me leave Girl Guides.

When I was 14 I took up Ju-Jitsu and this was a real confidence boost. I never feared anyone V*ing as I guessed if someone felt ill they would not be able to join in with such a physical activity. After 7 years of Ju-jitsu and just one grade away from my blackbelt it happened. A man dislocated his shoulder and v* from the pain. That was the end of another hobby because of emet.

I have always loved children and planned to bea teacher, but alas after Alevels I started to worry and decided I could not go to uni because of the emet again. Instead I went to the local college and did a Nursery Nurse course and then went on to run several creches. This work was ideal as if a child looked ill there mums were still in the same building and I could fetch them quickly whilst the other creche workers stayed with the ill child. I still got anxious before every creche session.

After having children I thought my emet would get better but it seems at its worst right now. i really have to push myself for my childrens sake, but I do not want it to be like this anymore. I want to be a good mother all the time not just when the children are well. I want to be more relaxed when my husband is home from work as all I do is keep asking him if hee is ill until he can take no more and gets annoyed.

I took the big step of making an appointment with my GP to discuss my emet today. I have always been too scared and embarrassed in the past. Iknow I can be strong for once and fight this.

I want to get over it too! I just posted to someone else earlier that I would love to see a therapist if I thought it would work . . . but I've also heard from many people that it didn't do a thing for them.

Good for you Curly Wurly, you are taking a step in the right direction! So I take it you are feeling better?

Good for you! You should want to fight it! We ALL want to fight it! I think that therapy will help you. It has helped me for the past 10 years of my life. I've been through 6 therapists though, and out of that only 2 have really helped me with my emet. One (I had to stop seeing cause I couldn't afford it) and the one right now is really helping me. It's good to talk to a doctor about it! That's the first step! I wish you all the luck!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I am joining in on your Marching to Beat Emet Parade! Seriously... I am so tired of this ruining and taking control over my life. Now, I don't see myself being cured overnight --- but I have to find a way to beat this.

I know my job is a big step for me and it is helping me face my fears in a controlled setting. It is like I know if my fear does happen, that I am in the safest of possible places for it to be faced. Their are janitors and I can take my class to another classroom/ cafeteria/ playground/ gym if it happens in the classroom. There is almost ALWAYS a nurse on every campus, so the person (even me) can get medical attention if needed.

To make matters even better, I am finding out that there are so many teachers out there who can't handle the V* either! It is so true! They send their kids out just as fast as I do They have also told me that eventually you just get used to it in the classroom and one teacher across the hall from where I was teaching yesterday loaned me her bottle of lysol to spray in the classroom I was subbing in! The lysol she had was illegal, but she needed it for her kids and let me use it in my classroom. I mean, my work environment is a safer place to deal with my phobia than my house is.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You can do it!
    Truck along!
    You CAN beat this - and I'm confident you WILL beat this.

To all the posters: if you haven't yet done so, read the sticky posts at the top of this Treatments section, esp the one on INFO for families, drs, etc. and the one on how to find a professional. I worry when people say things like "I've heard therapy did nothing for people". While this is certainly true, I would submit that it was because they did not find the right therapist and the right program of treatment. If they did/had, it would help - honestly!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I want to beat this too Curly Wurly!

Its getting to the point where its taking over my life again, and I'm starting to become scared of going to college. I keep getting flashbacks of old situations where I've been faced with someone V*ing and just dreading the next time it happenes.

I'm a very socialable person and most of my friends are big drinking/party animals.I absolutely love parties, i'm a natural student at heartI just can't get involved with them anymore due to such a high chance of V*. The last party I actually plucked up the courage to go to someone spent the whole night V*ing and I had to end up getting a taxi home at 2 in the morning, not to mention I was 10 miles away from home!

I could NEVER go on school trips and I spent a lot of time missing school because of it. I did get some treatment but the place where I went only set me up with a psyc. that was on a one year contract so it never got tackled and it was eventually given up.

I want to become involved in care work, working with people with disabilities and such but i'm scared about entering that sector incase I have to deal with them V*ing!

As I said above, it's beginning to ruin my life again and I've been missing college becuase of the flashbacks I was getting last night, convinced that if I went into college it may happen. I have a friend who said they'd go to the GP's surgery to get a refferal for some help but as I'm absolutely petrified of seeing other people V* one of my worst case scenario's is waiting in a doctors surgery! I am determined I will do it but I just can't bring myself to pick up the phone and get down the surgery.. and I don't want my friend seeing me freak out! God damn doctors surgery, what are people like us supposed to do?! I need medical help but I'm terrified of a doctors surgey!

Damn them! [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

x
    <a href=\"
    target=\"_blank\">

</a>

curly wurly, you have a pm.
    A special thank you to my daughter Alyssa. Your strength and courage gives me great inspiration. Where I am weak, you are strong. I will always love you.

Hey
    there everyone! Emetephobia is becoming a complete hell for me lately.
    Well.. since November to be precise. I haven't had a problem with
    my emetephobia since I was about 16. Now I am 23 and all of the sudden
    it is back with a vengeance. I think it may be because i didn't get a
    flu shot this year..even though supposedly the flu shot doesn't protect
    against the stomach virus anyways. It is more of a placebo I think.

I thinkit is wierd that I am washing my hands constantly
    and not eating and worrying nonstop about vomiting. Before, when I was
    young, I never thought about the germ part of everything, it was
    strictly just fear of vomiting. I am not sure where it all came from
    but it's not like I have never faced my fear before. i got a bout of
    food poisoning in Arizona at a world renowned spa along with 80 other
    people there this past August.

It is so nice to see that other people have this
    unusually common fear. I also have a fear of living alone becasue I
    don't like to be sick without someone helping me. The only one thing
    that helps me when I get sick is one teaspoon of baking soda and a tall
    glass of warm water. When I do happen to get sick I only vomit once or
    twice. Thanks for all your support. I am supposed to see a
    cognitive behavioral therapist this wednesday. I hope it is the start
    to a normal life again!

</font></span>

Maybe Im not looking in the right area, but i went to the treatment post and i cant get to any of the links that you posted, Sage. I want to get some info on treatment, particularly exposure. Can you give me some good links to check out? Thanks.

J

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

well done, I think you've made a huge step by going to the doctor. Maybe it takes a fed up mentality such as yours to really do something about emet...

I would love to go to my go but I don't think she'd take it very seriously

I msut confess that I did not actually make the appointment. I got too nervous at the last minute and cancelled it. I have been regretting it ever since. [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

fifi - click on that link and print out the material for your doctor. Then she's pretty likely to take it seriously!

curly - maybe you can get up the nerve to print it out and mail it to your doctor with a note that you'll be calling for an appt when he or she has read it. That might help. I know it's hard to go through with this!