Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Upper Endoscopy Anesthesia

In 6 days I am having an upper Endoscopy with general anesthesia (because it is at a children’s hospital [I am 16]) and I am super scared about n* or v* after I wake up. My doctor said she would give me some medicine to try and prevent it but still.. I have never had any type of anesthesia or sedation before. Has anyone had an Endoscopy with anesthesia? Did you v*? Please help, I’m about to pass out from fear and it is still several days away!

Default Re: Upper Endoscopy Anesthesia

Hi, I have had several endoscopes and other medical procedures with anesthesia and have never v*. Just remind your anesthesiologist that you want the anti-v medication. All I remember was a really nice nap, waking up and feeling mellow.

Hi, I've had upper and lower and can give you some advice. Yes, definitely tell your doc or the nurses about your fear and ask for an anti emetic in your IV. Also, when you wake up, don't let them rush you out the door. The only time I felt nauseous was when I was just waking up and they were lifting the head of the bed and trying to get me going. I was sooo mad. Also, the first few times you eat, just eat very plain and go slow. They usually offer you crackers and juice or ginger ale. I know it's scary but really, especially the upper is no big deal. Best of luck to you...it's best to get it done and ease your worry about the GI stuff.
    "In nothing be anxious....." Phil. 4:6

Thank you for the replies! I’m going tomorrow and am so, so, nervous. Although I wonder if they will still go on with it since I feel a cold coming on (severe sore throat)...