Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Emet Safety behaviours?

Interested to know what weird things other emetophobics so because mine are ridiculous.

Some of mine are - anti sickness tablets and I’m never without a bottle of water

I have much weirder and embarrassing ones that make absolutely no sense and contradict my fear completely but idk I still do them.

Default Re: Emet Safety behaviours?

So far, I have never taken an anti-emetic med, mostly because I'm afraid I would come to depend on them, and therefore immune to them. If the day ever comes that I decide that's the only option, I want to make sure it will work, and FAST.
    My little rituals include inhaling canned oxygen (I buy Boost on Amazon), drinking water, sipping Pepto if necessary, and finding all the little "pictures" in the texture of my ceiling (keeping my brain occupied). So far, so good!

I do this thing where I act like I have sv even if I don't. I'll avoid food or eat a bland diet, drink only certain things, take Pepto, rest a lot, etc. This is only when the fear is extremely, extremely bad or when someone I know has sv.

I also sniff peppermint oil and rubbing alcohol. A nurse once told me that when she has a patient who is struggling with v she'll have them smell rubbing alcohol and it works. No idea how valid that is, but it makes me feel better.

I NEVER touch what I eat.
    I never touch my mouth.
    I take Dramamine.
    Super compulsive about washing my hands.
    Super weird about what I eat, who prepared it and how it was prepared.
    Also keep tabs on who’s not feeling well, or who has been ill, as to heighten my awareness and to increase the frequency of preventative measures.

I just wash my hands a lot.

When I feel sick or I am worried I may be sick I take stomach medications, chew gum, take warm baths, try to use the bathroom, cry the anxiety out, try to burp or drink herbal tea.

Also when I am anxious or feel sick I tend to stay up late to make sure I don't wake up feeling sick, I also try to avoid eating big meals or before bed.

Day to day avoidance, these are all things I do because of emetophobia and not OCD or anything

I wash my hands whenever they feel dirty such as when I get home, and I have to feel like the soap has bubbled enough or I have to rewash them (I'm working to reduce the amount I wash my hands though)
    I always wash my hands before eating even if I've just washed them and I don't touch anything else until after I've eaten
    I open pull doors with my little finger on my right hand because its not used for eating, opening things and I'm unlikely to ever have a reason to put that finger in or near my mouth, push doors I shoulder barge or kick open
    I check the use by dates on everything I buy or eat
    I check everything is fully cooked and overcook anything I make myself
    I watch over anyone cooking/preparing anything I'm going to be eating to make sure they keep things clean and don't do anything I consider stupid like butter bread directly on the worktop and wash their hands after handling raw meat
    I'm very picky about eating out, I have to check their hygiene rating/reviews and the place needs to feel right, I wont eat somewhere that looks rundown even if its spotless
    I avoid touching my mouth

My favourite example of how bad I am with washing my hands is I'm quite happy to eat using a knife/fork/bowl that I've just washed and dried but I wouldn't eat with my hands after washing those items without first washing my hands