Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Scared out my mind!

Hello everybody! New member here!

I never knew there was a website for this phobia! I always felt alone cause nobody knew what I was talking about or thought I was crazy! I have depression and anxiety (depression more than anxiety). I kind of had a rough childhood. I mean I had fun and got what I needed but emotionally nobody was there. My mother has depression too and my parents has marriage issues. Not sure if this is where it all came from. I can remember times I have gotten sick but it was always so quick! So I wonder why I’m so scared now. Anyway I always had this for as long as I can remember, never came to my attention until a year or two ago. I started going to therapy but just now talked about this, so I haven’t started getting help just yet. I always try to ignore it but just the other day I was close to v*ing and had a panic attack! I was sick and coughing so hard I gagged and couldn’t stop coughing! That’s when I knew I really need to start talking to my counselor more about it. I always feel I will never get over it. In a couple years I would love to have a child but the thought of morning sickness makes me NEVER want to ... it makes me depressed. I’ve been crying thinking this will ruin my life. I would like to know tips on how others help theirselves deal with this.

Default Re: Scared out my mind!

Hi BriJ

Well first of all I think its healthy that youve found an identification for your phobia and potential reason for your depression, and Im really sorry to hear about your childhood, I bet that was rough . I also have the morning sickness worry cos I do see myself being a mom one day but as it stands, I believe i have some sort of IBS and even just a stomach ache sends me into a panic and everyone around me seem so confused and concerned as I turn into another person...it is exhausting and humiliating but there ARE ways to beat it. Im currently on my own therapy journey despite having zero confidence in myself... Im telling myself each time that I feel sick or my stomach is upset(Which has been VERY frequent this year) , that i wont let it overshadow whats actually going on around me... so far its been a struggle, but..its working in baby steps.
    Do you tend to feel sick a lot or is it just the fear of it happening?
    If ever you do feel sick, peppermint is a life saver...its the only thing i can really rely on..whether it was having the flu or being on a plane or like the other day in the countryside feeling very quesy in the car..maybe if you have remedies on-hand to stop yourself feeling unwell, youll feel better. I hope youre ok
    'Since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal'

2 Corinthians 4:18💜💜💜💜💜💜💜

Default Re: Scared out my mind!

I usually don’t get sick a lot, it’s the fear. What’s worse to me is the feeling leading up to it rather it just happening and being done with. In a weird way I don’t think I’m scared of the act it’s self. I do feel it’s my anxiety and up bring that made me scared. I do carry halls and mints with me EVERYWHERE just in case! Thank you for your reply and I hope you get help on you journey as well! 🤗