Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Travel to Asia?

Default Travel to Asia?

Hello

My boyfriend is a keen traveller and I really want to go with him on a short trip somewhere in Asia at the end of the year. Locations currently considered are Cambodia and Myanmar, although there's still some flexibility on where we go.

Obviously as an emetophobia sufferer this is pretty terrifying and it's taken me a number of years to even consider going. Travel is important to him and I really don't want to let him down.

I wondered if anyone else with the condition has made such a trip to somewhere with known food risks and how they managed?

Is it possible to bring all your own food in your suitcase if it's 7-10 days? Like dried noodles or protein bars or something?

Is there anything at all you can eat that's really safe?

I'm not worried about nutrients, just getting through it really.

Thanks loads if anyone has any advice. x

Default Re: Travel to Asia?

I've been to both Myanmar and Cambodia. I did not bring my own food. I was OK in Cambodia and questionable in Myanmar. I started feeling kinda off in Myanmar but it wasn't bad until I got to Malaysia so I suspect that Myanmar was actually just nerves and it was Malaysia where I picked it up. My husband didn't get anything though and we ate the same stuff so maybe it wasn't the food at all. If it makes you feel any better I did not v* and still have very fond memories of that trip.

I would not say I was overly cautious but I did do some things to prevent fp:
    - Bottled water only, including for brushing teeth
    - No drinks with ice or blended with ice
    - No street food
    - Nothing raw (no fruit, salad, etc)
    - Only reataurants with lots of positive reviews on trip advisor or other review platform

I hope you are able to enjoy your trip! I've travelled to a lot of countries in Asia and they were all great fun.