I know half the population claims to have this phobia, but I'm curious whether people who actually have emetophobia, do you keep it a secret or are you quite open about it?

I've had it for 10 years and I was open about it at first and it was the worst thing I ever did. Kids at school would torment me and make noises around me and tell me they felt unwell on purpose because they thought it was funny. During my last year at school I received anonymous emails almost everyday sending me graphic photos of v* and when I would be eating my lunch everyone would start giggling and tell me that they had done something to my food.

Due to the hell I experienced in school I've kept it secret ever since. Obviously I had to tell my boyfriend and I'm comfortable to speak about emetophobia with mental health practitioners. But even at work and university I kept it secret. I had no choice but to make my managers aware I had issues with anxiety but I never ever mentioned emetophobia.

These days if you say you have anxiety people just assume you're a bit shy or they say 'oh yeah i have anxiety too'

The odd time where I have kind of subtly hinted about my emetophobia I always get the same response 'omg yeah I'm scared of that too!'

So does anybody else keep it secret? What reactions do you get?