Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Who knows about your emet?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's my secret

2 9.52%
  • Only a few close friends and family members

15 71.43%
  • It's pretty much public information about me

4 19.05%

Default Do you keep emetophobia a secret?

I know half the population claims to have this phobia, but I'm curious whether people who actually have emetophobia, do you keep it a secret or are you quite open about it?

I've had it for 10 years and I was open about it at first and it was the worst thing I ever did. Kids at school would torment me and make noises around me and tell me they felt unwell on purpose because they thought it was funny. During my last year at school I received anonymous emails almost everyday sending me graphic photos of v* and when I would be eating my lunch everyone would start giggling and tell me that they had done something to my food.

Due to the hell I experienced in school I've kept it secret ever since. Obviously I had to tell my boyfriend and I'm comfortable to speak about emetophobia with mental health practitioners. But even at work and university I kept it secret. I had no choice but to make my managers aware I had issues with anxiety but I never ever mentioned emetophobia.

These days if you say you have anxiety people just assume you're a bit shy or they say 'oh yeah i have anxiety too'

The odd time where I have kind of subtly hinted about my emetophobia I always get the same response 'omg yeah I'm scared of that too!'

So does anybody else keep it secret? What reactions do you get?

Default Re: Do you keep emetophobia a secret?

I don't broadcast it, but have told the people who "need to know", the ones I spend a lot of time with that I don't want to freak out if I freak out. Now they warn me if something is coming up on TV or they see the cat start to lurch. I get a little bit of kidding about it, but no one has ever been mean or purposely showed me something. That's just plain rude, and I'm sorry that happened to you.

I avoid telling anyone because I don't want people to tiptoe around me or feel like they have to accommodate me, but I've had to tell the people I spend the most time with because I get sudden anxiety if I have an intrusive thought about v* or if I encounter someone who says they feel s* or n*. When I get anxiety I go completely silent and start fidgeting and have to focus on one thing. I won't really reply if someone tries to talk to me. So I don't want anyone to think I'm just being moody or that I'm mad at them haha.

There’s no way I could keep my Emetophobia a secret. I don’t tell the public, but I feel people close to me have to know otherwise with all the habits I have-ocd, not wanting to travel, being fussy about what I eat, people wouldn’t understand why and be wondering what was wrong with me. Mines very bad so it’s not possible to be a secret.

Just to be clear I know others may have it very bad too and still keep it a secret.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Rose View Post
    There’s no way I could keep my Emetophobia a secret. I don’t tell the public, but I feel people close to me have to know otherwise with all the habits I have-ocd, not wanting to travel, being fussy about what I eat, people wouldn’t understand why and be wondering what was wrong with me. Mines very bad so it’s not possible to be a secret.

I keep it a secret 99% of the time. One of the reasons is obviously I try to be as "normal" as possible (lol) and the other reason is that I don't want people to not tell me they are sick when they are sick just to keep me from freaking out. I want to know when people are sick so I can take proper precautions. I know this is a bit of a catch 22 for the healing of my phobia, but as of right now, I'd just rather be safe than sorry!

I let everyone know but I also do not expect everyone to understand my phobia. Why shouldthey when I dont. I have learned most are very understanding especially since almost everyone has had something the are afraid of in their life. Have you ever thought when telling them maybe asking them to tell you if they have been so you can better prepare?

Quote Originally Posted by Kara081994 View Post
    I keep it a secret 99% of the time. One of the reasons is obviously I try to be as "normal" as possible (lol) and the other reason is that I don't want people to not tell me they are sick when they are sick just to keep me from freaking out. I want to know when people are sick so I can take proper precautions. I know this is a bit of a catch 22 for the healing of my phobia, but as of right now, I'd just rather be safe than sorry!
    I totally agree! I want to seem normal so that I don’t get bullied about it and I want to know things. The only person who I’ve told (to full severity) that is currently in my personal life is one teacher, who I met in 4th grade and told in 9th prior to my first 4-day school trip. On the 10th grade 4-day trip, I had an issue, so she told the school nurse because they both helped me (they’re best friends and I know the nurse pretty well). A couple close friends know but not how severe.

Of course, by observing me, people get little hits. Thankfully, they never piece it together, and if a couple smart ones have, they aren’t sharing it.

Depends on who it is

I tell people who are close to me. I once got out in detention because I ran out of the room when a classmate got sick at his desk. I tried to explain my fear and the principal said there is no such fear and to quit talking nonsense! I'm in my 30's now. It is great that the internet is around to educate these "educators". I got teased relentlessly for years. I am pretty sure this only intensified my fear!