Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default How do you tell if it's illness or anxiety?

I've got better at this over the years but sometimes I really can't tell if my n* is being caused by anxiety or by 'the real thing'

Some ways I try to tell if I'm actually ill or just anxious:

- I think about the likelihood of me having a bug.. have I been exposed? Are we in summer or winter? Do I have any other symptoms?

- I think about the likelihood of FP... have I eaten anything that wasn't safe? Do I have stomach ache or D*? Does my boyfriend feel ill?

- Is the n* coming from my throat or stomach? If the n* is coming from my throat then it's probably anxiety

- Are my safety behaviours (nibbling crackers and sipping water) making the n* worse or better?

- How long have I been feeling n*? If I were going to v* would it have happened by now?

How do you guys tell what is causing your n*?

Default Re: How do you tell if it's illness or anxiety?

My main indicator is thinking of my fave food and if my stomach is repelled, I know its real. But my anxiety with breakups and arguments and exams have almost caused me to want to v* so it just makes it that bit harder.. quite often if an "incident" occurs which is caused by stress, I will quite soon go off EVERYTHING. I did a performance last week (I'm a pianist) and it was quite a big event and I am only just beginning to eat "properly" as the whole day I had zero appetite due to nerves.
    Hunger is criminal for trolling us too - soooo many times I have woken up, looked forward to a good breakfast but left it a little too long only to be scared to eat cos of the hunger n*...
    Last edited by thecheesecake17; 06-03-2018 at 12:44 PM.
    'Since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal'

2 Corinthians 4:18💜💜💜💜💜💜💜

Omg if I don’t eat my stomach burns so bad like it’s on fire! If I get to that point I have to slowly eat

My suggestion would be, rather than overthinking all the possibilities - just tell yourself that it IS anxiety and do your best to calm yourself down. For us emets, it's anxiety 99% of the time, so it's counterproductive to needlessly worry about the things that aren't going to happen. I know, I know, that's what we do, but I can tell you from experience that after almost 53 years of not v*ing (and that's not a typo), eventually you will be able to convince yourself that you're fine. Really.

I can tell you from experience that after almost 53 years of not v*ing (and that's not a typo), eventually you will be able to convince yourself that you're fine. Really.[/QUOTE]

Oh my gosh! That is incredible - are you male or female? Only asking as us girls are blessed with more triggers for v* due to hormones etc... Also do you think you've ever used willpower to not v*?

Oh my gosh! That is incredible - are you male or female? Only asking as us girls are blessed with more triggers for v* due to hormones etc... Also do you think you've ever used willpower to not v*?[/QUOTE]

I'm female, and yes absolutely - I made another post about "mind over matter". I'm a true believer.