Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Ureteroscopy and laser lithotripsy to break kidney stone & I'm starting to freak out

I will be going in for a ureteroscopy and laser lithotripsy to brake up a kidney stone soon and I'm freaking out at needing a general anesthetic as coming out of them I believe you can feel unwell. I was also told stents will be placed & left in the ureter for a couple of weeks and one of the side effects (although last on one of the lists I read is N* and occasional V*). Has anyone had this procedure & what were your experiences?

Default Re: Ureteroscopy and laser lithotripsy to break kidney stone & I'm starting to freak

HI, I haven't had this procedure but one thing you should definitely do is let your doc and the nurses know about your fear. Don't feel embarrassed, they have heard everything! Also, ask if they can give you an anti emetic right in your IV. This way you will have it on board already and that should greatly reduce your chances of getting sick. When you wake from anesthesia, just take everything slow...they will want you to eat something, but take your time, have something very plain. Best of luck and keep us posted!!
    "In nothing be anxious....." Phil. 4:6

Default Re: Ureteroscopy and laser lithotripsy to break kidney stone & I'm starting to freak

Thank you so much Andrea, I'm meeting with anesthetist Thursday so will definitely be asking for a cocktail of anti emetics. I have insisted on these for 2 of my 3 c sections. (I learnt after my 1st - I was so out of control I'm sure the whole ward could hear me). My other concern is the potential N* while the stent is left in for 2-4 weeks. I also just had a call from the hospital & penciled in for the surgery on 3 July... Aaarhh now I have a date to count down to. So glad to have found a forum with others in the same boat - I now don't feel alone

I am an xray tech at a surgery center and I assist with these procedures on a daily basis. I have never seen someone vomit from the anesthesia personally. I have had my appendix out and was placed under similar anesthesia and I didnt get sick. I second the comments already posted, just ask your anesthesiologist for zofran its given to our patients on the regular.

Also, if you're worried about nausea from the stent, your doc can give you a script for zofran to take at home too. Sometimes just knowing you have it will make you feel better. Make sure you ask for it.
    "In nothing be anxious....." Phil. 4:6

Thanks so much Srk2756, I had my procedure yesterday & all went well.

Thanks so much Srk2756, I had my procedure yesterday & all went well.