Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Emetophobia - Scared stiff

Hello, i'm suffering from Emetophobia very badly that is starting to affect me by not doing things I enjoy and going to school. I'm scared stiff of being s*** and being I**. I feel problems with my throat, stomach cramps, bloatingness, nausea. But i'm never s*** or I**. If anyone knows a way to stop this happening, please let me know. It's getting worse and worse, day by day and I need help with it.

Default Re: Emetophobia - Scared stiff

Quote Originally Posted by Alexmetcalfe37 View Post
    Hello, i'm suffering from Emetophobia very badly that is starting to affect me by not doing things I enjoy and going to school. I'm scared stiff of being s*** and being I**. I feel problems with my throat, stomach cramps, bloatingness, nausea. But i'm never s*** or I**. If anyone knows a way to stop this happening, please let me know. It's getting worse and worse, day by day and I need help with it.
    Hey - Im sorry to hear that this phobia has took another innocent victim !
    I think the classic cycle is whats affecting you here...anxiety--> ill --->anxiety ----> ill... the two play games with one another but more often than not I believe anxiety to be the most common problem so if you feel those things, think about what was on your mind before you felt unwell. Since I stopped working from 7am-4pm and taking out time to actually heal by literally only doing what I NEED to do has helped me thoroughly. Sure, its not that easy for most people but thankfully due to consequences of not living alone and only paying a third of the rent I should be paying to my parents, I've got a lot healthier and happier with less stomach upset. Yep, I still have to go out with my friends and to shop and I still get cramps, throat-sick and generally blah but I promise if you try your hardest to distract yourself day by day you'll see small but good improvement.
    'Since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal'

2 Corinthians 4:18💜💜💜💜💜💜💜

That helped me a lot .. I took 2 weeks off from work to find a new job as mine was stressing me out.. but I still wake up every morning dreading working and feeling sick ... ugh the gagging feeling is so real !!! I hate it , it’s like it’s about to happen . Lately my anxiety has been giving me excess saliva which doesn’t help . I have ocd so it’s hard not to think about my feeling and thoughts .. how do you do it

I think the two biggest help for me have been a therapist (you should see what is within your insurance plan, but finding one who you are comfortable with can be immensely helpful).

The other thing, which has been a more recent addition to my arsenal of dealing with anxiety is when you are feeling sick, first see if there is anything you can do to deal with the sick feeling (this may be something like eating something, taking tum, that kind of thing). if there is nothing you can do to get rid of that feeling or minimize it (or you have already done everything you can) than you move on to DBT. This is what my Dr. refers to as 'putting it in a box'. I find at least for me, the best bet is something that requires a fair amount of focus, but with out heavy duty stressful associations (I find games like roller coaster tycoon, or sim city work well for me for this).