Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default SV* 8th day terrified, cleaning advice!!!

I had a sudden N* headache last Friday and tmi in the following days had 2 loose bm. The N* and food revulsion was so strong I couldn't eat or drink or sleep properly and was admitted to hospital, had fluids and glucose anti anti *N pills. Ate some toast and some biscuits, that night had severe *D once, couldn't get a stool sample as I couldn't go again. They sent me home and I had some toast and straight away after the *D started again, went on all night with *N and I was dry heaving this morning. I assume I can't *V as I'm taking the Ondansatron anti *N pill? I feel no better today, stomach pain is strong, *N and needing to BM but can't. I'm going to try doralite as I can't eat at the moment. Is it normal for a *SV to go on for this long? (8th day now) and is it normal for the symptoms to suddenly change, in regards to the sudden *D and heaving?*

Many thanks, I'm severely illness and emetophobic with OCD so this is causing a lot of panic and trouble, I'm cleaning everything and everyone is under strict rules to stay away from me (difficult as I live with parents and the living room my bedroom (sleep on the second sofa as my boyfriend sleeps in my room do to my sleep anxiety) so if I *V it will be in a room other people will be in which is terrifying me due to fear them catch it through the air. I'm cleaning the toilet and taps after using the bathroom. Terrified of what this is and why it's lasting so long and terrified of others catching it, any advice and help with what kills *SV germs the best would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

I'm using, Domestos toilet cleaner, harpic bleach white and shine, Dettol wipes. I have clinel wipes, spray and hand wipes on the way, which are supposed to kill *NV. And are used by the NHS.

Default Re: SV* 8th day terrified, cleaning advice!!!

It sounds like you are taking all the right precautions to prevent spreading your illness. I don’t know for sure why you are ill or whether it is a sv*. Unfortunately it IS possible to v* even though you’re taking antiemetics- I’ve seen it happen to plenty of patients at work. That doesn’t mean YOU will though! Have you considered seeing your doctor again, since your symptoms are the same or worse than before?

Thank you so much for the response, I'm going to ring my doctor tomorrow if I still feel no better, as he said to ring after the weekend if I wasn't. I hope you're right in regards to what you said.. can't repeat it right now as so anxious 😔 Thank you again for the reply it means a lot and makes me feel less alone in all this!

If you're not able to eat maybe this is related? I know when I have anxiety and don't eat for days I feel horrible and definitely almost v* a couple times

I don’t think this is the stomach v has it most likely won’t last that long ... anxiety has a lot to do with stuff . I didn’t really eat for a week and had a gagging feeling because of severe anxiety starting a new meds last week . How are you now ?

You don't seem to have the SV. It's likely anxiety, it messes with your digestive system and can make you get D* or N*. But you should keep in touch with your doctor. The dry heaving could also be anxiety, i used to get a gagging feeling in my throat but i have no idea if it was similar to dry heaving. Remember that anxiety can make a lot of crazy things to your body. You probably got some anxiety at day 1 which caused you to feel nauseous and then you've been worrying about it so much that it is constant.
    This thread is getting old and I really hope you feel better now. Mind if you update us?

Quote Originally Posted by Frestadius View Post
    You don't seem to have the SV. It's likely anxiety, it messes with your digestive system and can make you get D* or N*. But you should keep in touch with your doctor. The dry heaving could also be anxiety, i used to get a gagging feeling in my throat but i have no idea if it was similar to dry heaving. Remember that anxiety can make a lot of crazy things to your body. You probably got some anxiety at day 1 which caused you to feel nauseous and then you've been worrying about it so much that it is constant.
    This thread is getting old and I really hope you feel better now. Mind if you update us?
    I’m better now, apparently you can have SV without V so I think that’s what happened. It’s really badly triggered my ocd and emetophobia obviously, so I’m just trying to eat enough and not panic really. I’m cleaning a lot, and stressing even more. My fourth run of cbt starts soon so let’s hope I can try to overcome this, as it’s been 10 years now. Thank you for your concern it means a lot honestly!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frestadius View Post

I wrote a response but I don’t think it posted... Apparently you can have SV without V so I think that’s what happened. I feel better now, it has severely triggered my ocd and emetophobia obviously, so I’m just dealing with that, I’m horribly stressed but I’m hungry and eating so I know I definitely had something as the smell of food alone was disgusting. I’m cleaning a lot and doing a lot of ocd stuff, my fourth run of cbt starts soon so I hope that helps. I really need it to help yknow. You’re concern and interest means a lot to me honestly, thank you so much!

Well SV doesn't last for over 8 days. It would be the Rotavirus but that causes D* AND V*. The SV's that causes only D* lasts for maybe 1-2 days

Also, SV only spreads through your V* and Feces so you don't really need to do a hardcore cleaning.

I certainly would not say that an infectious diarrheal illness can’t last for an extended period (certainly past 1-2days). I promise you I have treated patients that have extended symptoms and stool samples positive for a virus/bacteria

I agree however that it’s not worth throwing away your things and overly worrying about cleaning/sanitizing if you were the only one Ill in your family then it may not have been infectious and if it was the rest of your family was likely exposed early on. Additionally you are not going to reinfect yourself with the same pathogen even if you were not perfect in cleaning.
    Hand washing after you use the bathroom will remain your best bet for keeping you friends and family healthy if that is what you are concerned about.
    Best,
    M

Quote Originally Posted by Malalcala View Post
    I certainly would not say that an infectious diarrheal illness can’t last for an extended period (certainly past 1-2days). I promise you I have treated patients that have extended symptoms and stool samples positive for a virus/bacteria

I agree however that it’s not worth throwing away your things and overly worrying about cleaning/sanitizing if you were the only one Ill in your family then it may not have been infectious and if it was the rest of your family was likely exposed early on. Additionally you are not going to reinfect yourself with the same pathogen even if you were not perfect in cleaning.
    Hand washing after you use the bathroom will remain your best bet for keeping you friends and family healthy if that is what you are concerned about.
    Best,
    M
    Thank for the response, I’m a very severe case so I panic a lot especially at night. I feel kind of reassured by your reply though, still terrified of other getting ill of course. As I’m scared I’ll then get reinfected be them.

Maybe you had rotavirus. It's usually something kids get but adults can too. My whole family had it about 3 years ago. It lasted about 10 days. It was terrible..

It could be anxiety, anxiety can manifest itself in weird ways. I used to wake up from dreamless sleep with sudden panic attacks, extreme N* and uncontrollable shaking. Every time I was sure if I moved I was going to V*. I would stay shaking and feel N* for hours until I burped a lot and got rid of the N* feeling and the shaking would eventually fade away also.
    So it def can manifest itself into extreme physical symptoms.