Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Bad emetaphobia day

I'm new to this forum I have good days and bad days I fear the sick bug some days I don't eat as I scared if I eat I sick it back up. I won't reheat food and i chuck stuff by the sell by and cook for an extra 5 mins to try and avoid food poisoning, this emetaphobia is ruining my life

Default Re: Bad emetaphobia day

Quote Originally Posted by Jessibeexx View Post
    I'm new to this forum I have good days and bad days I fear the sick bug some days I don't eat as I scared if I eat I sick it back up. I won't reheat food and i chuck stuff by the sell by and cook for an extra 5 mins to try and avoid food poisoning, this emetaphobia is ruining my life
    You need to fully distract your mind, it has been a battle with me for many years but I'm in a place where it is my number 6 priority, which is a miracle. it will get worse in the winter but ask yourself if anything triggers your worries; usually my worries come from my own stomach-suffering cos I have IBS at times of stress but since I have took time off work I feel so much better. Some days I don't even think of it... I'm sorry to hear this btw
    'Since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal'

2 Corinthians 4:18💜💜💜💜💜💜💜

Thanks find it all demoralising really , so hard to do I have went on a cleaning frenzy just incase bit came on mainly after I had my son he's almost 2 but I will try my best to avoid nothing as his happiness and wellbeing comes first . I just need help to eat better,

I had a lot of the issues you had, and in all honesty you should focus on baby steps. if right now all you can handle is over cooked food that is super fresh that is fine.

I was like that for a long while, and I slowly was able to broaden what I will eat (I will even eat left overs for up to two days after I cook them now!). I started by focusing on things that I felt were more likely to be 'safe'. One such example was that the first leftovers I would have would be Chinese food. In my mind it was okay to eat those the next day because of the high salt content (i guess in my mind it was less likely to get germs because of that), from there I was able to expand on to other types of food and go longer with eating leftovers.

Still feeling bad I actually struggle to eat anything I put loads of food pages on Instagram so I can try and see if I get hungry but when it's time to eat my stomach turns any tips on getting me to eat

okay, so if you are at the point of not eating (I call it spiraling, cause it usually makes the nausea worse, and its a bad place to be in), there are a few things you need to do

1. meal replacement shakes, or smoothies, or milk shakes or really anything that has calories, you need to force yourself to eat/drink it. It will be stinky, and unenjoyable but it will make you feel a lot better in the long run.

2. call your primary care doctor, or your psychiatrist (if you have one). Sometimes people need a short course of medication (myself included) to get past a really bad bout of anxiety.

those are the first two things you can do.
    After that, you also need to get into therapy, and long term work on identifying when you are heading towards a downward spiral like this and stopping it before it happens.