Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default What happened when you were around 9?

Ever since I've been coming here and reading people's stories I've noticed that they often say something happened (either to do with vomiting or not) around 9 years of age. For me, that was when my dad died. For some, it's something at school, an illness, or many other "significant" things. Did anything of significance happen to you or in your family when you were around 9? (I'd love to hear from people who haven't had anything as well)
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: What happened when you were around 9?

This is a really interesting question. When I was 8, nearly 9, my entire family except for my mom had noro at Christmas. I had it the worst and v*d all night Christmas Eve and into Christmas morning. It was pretty bad; especially considering it was during my favorite holiday. Then my younger sister was born a week later, which was a positive thing but a still a big change.
    Disclaimer: Any nutritional or health related advice I give is well intentioned and intended for general educational purposes only that may or may not apply to your personal health situation. It does NOT in any way, shape or form constitute as medical or dietetic advice. I am not your nutritionist and you are not my patient. Please discuss anything you may learn from any of my health related posts with your doctor and nutritionist prior to making any related changes.

Love me or hate me I am who I am. It isn't going to change. Don't confuse a succinct response or commitment to accuracy as being cavalier or patronizing.

When I was 9, almost 10, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. She was mainly ill when I was 10 though, and that's also when I last v-ed. My mum recovered and has been fine since.

It happened for me when I was 8. I got a teacher I didn't get along with and my parents were always getting mad at me. The girls in my class suddenly decided they didn't like me anymore and although I was always a bit emet it really really got bad for the first time that year, to the point where I was afraid to even set foot in a bathroom in case I got sick (which led to accidents, more trouble at school, more trouble at home and more emet/OCD behaviors). I had a bad experience with vomiting at 7 that set me off, but it didn't really start the emet problems until a year later.
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine

Yesssss. I was almost 10 when I got some type of "flu" that I remember was causing a lot of absences in school. I was out for a week and my doc gave me cough medicine with codeine in it. Made me soooo sick. This is what started the whole anxiety/phobia for me. Didn't want to go to school, had separation anxiety from mom, couldn't eat cuz I always had that "butterfly" nauseous feeling, and basically ended up in the hospital from malnutrition, which they mistook for anorexia.
    Did okay until 15, when I was sick again and it just reared its ugly head once more. Strange how the mind works....

Hmm... I got a dog?

Nothing I can think of!

You may find these links helpful!

My parents got divorced

When I was 8, I threw up in bed while I was sleeping. It was truly awful, and I've been emet ever since. I've only thrown up once since then, about two years later. Doug

My grandmother, who lived with us and practically raised me, suffered from cancer. When I was 8, I peeked through the bathroom door and saw her vomiting. When I asked her if she was ok, she yelled at me to go on and watch tv. I know that she wasn't angry, but at the time it hurt my feelings. She died a few days later. I'm the one who found her, but I thought she was asleep and crawled into her lap and napped for a few hours until my parents got home. When the paramedics covered her face with the sheet, I became so emotionally distraught that I vomited. I had to go to daycare after she died, and one day this little girl had her head hanging over the toilet, crying out "help me" over and over. That's when I experienced my first panic attack. I took off running down the street, and I can still feel the way the air blew through my hair because I was going so fast. I was in my 30's before I really processed any of that, but my grasp on the phobia improved so much after dealing with those memories. I still panic, sometimes every day, but I no longer let fear prevent me from doing anything.

What an interesting question and yes, I do have an answer of sorts.

My parents separated when I was 6/7. It was all very amicable and we always saw Dad regularly, so my memories of it at the time are that it wasn't really a big deal. (He'd been hospitalised with a nervous breakdown about a year before and had spent plenty of time away from home, not to mention the long hours at work over a sustained period that caused the breakdown in the first place. So by the time my parents told us that Dad wouldn't be living with us anymore he'd hardly been around for at least a year or more, so- shrug - it was just more of the same wasn't it? Hence my lack of reaction.)

However, there was a delayed reaction around 9/10 when I used to regularly get quite upset over having to come home from spending the weekend at his house and used to take his visits to home very seriously, always making sure I wasn't out with friends and waving him off as he drove away until the car was actually out of sight, way past the point at which he could have waved back or even - for obvious safety reasons! - been still looking at me.

As far as the emet goes, I was half-emet at the age of nine, telling an aunt after one bout of illness that "it's not the being sick I mind so much, it's the feeling sick for a few hours I can't stand!", while a year later and just past my tenth birthday I was sick twice one night and panicked both times.

My therapist has picked up on this and suggested that it is no coincidence that I get a delayed reaction to Dad leaving at all at around 9/10 years old, which is also exactly the time the emet was becoming official. We've discussed this over a couple of sessions and I'm minded to agree!

Wow - some of your stories really moved me. Thanks, everyone for sharing. jamie77 - what a dramatic story, oh my gosh! I`m so glad you`ve been able to process it in your adult life.

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Asianeko - must be why you`re so well-adjusted!

When I was 9 I was in 4th grade. Nothing remarkable emet wise stands out in my mind. It was my first year in TAG in school which I loved, and we got to start taking computer classes in school, which was fun especially because the computer lab was air conditioned. Haha. I was a talking squirrel in the school play (Snow White). In my regular class we had a substitute almost all year because our teacher hurt her back. It was annoying, but not upsetting. Hmm.. I needed glasses because I couldn't see the board but wouldn't admit to it and just copied the questions down from my friends instead of the board. Pretty tame, really.

My first memory of being emet in school was in 2nd grade. I was lined up outside waiting to go in from recess to have lunch, and this girl standing in front of me vomited all over the blacktop. I begged another girl to let me cut her in line and promised I'd play with her at recess all week if she let me. She did. :P Literally like 15+ yrs later I ran into the sick girl and that was the first image that popped into my mind. I wonder how she would feel if she knew she was remembered as the kid who puked on the lunch line in 2nd grade?
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

Wow. This thread is incredible! When I was 9, my school got food poisoning from the hot lunch in the cafeteria. I didn't eat it, as I always brought my lunch, but over 150 kids in all different grades started v* about 45 minutes after lunch. They didn't end school early, since they were trying to get all of the sick kids on ambulances and to the hospital. The corridors looked like a war zone, with kids lying all around, v* EVERYWHERE, and people screaming and crying in fear and pain. I still remember the smell. It lingered for days after. I know I was afraid of v* before this day, but for sure it traumatized me, and made my fear so much more intense. I still have dreams about it, exactly how it started, even the kids names who got sick. It's amazing how our minds work.

Wow. This thread is incredible! When I was 9, my school got food poisoning from the hot lunch in the cafeteria. I didn't eat it, as I always brought my lunch, but over 150 kids in all different grades started v* about 45 minutes after lunch. They didn't end school early, since they were trying to get all of the sick kids on ambulances and to the hospital. The corridors looked like a war zone, with kids lying all around, v* EVERYWHERE, and people screaming and crying in fear and pain. I still remember the smell. It lingered for days after. I know I was afraid of v* before this day, but for sure it traumatized me, and made my fear so much more intense. I still have dreams about it, exactly how it started, even the kids names who got sick. It's amazing how our minds work.
    MY GOODNESS! thats like horrifying! Im NEVER eating school lunches EVER AGAIN! OMG! woahhhh like WOahh scary!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chocolategirl View Post
    MY GOODNESS! thats like horrifying! Im NEVER eating school lunches EVER AGAIN! OMG! woahhhh like WOahh scary!!!
    I didn't mean to scare you, or anyone! I would think something like this would be VERY rare. It was awful, I won't lie, and the fact that it has stayed with me this long (I'm 32 now) just shows how difficult it is to forget about something like that.

They were able to trace the incident back to the woman in charge of cooking the food that day. (This was before gloves were required for food handling, I think.) She had a staph infection in her finger, had handled the food, partially heated it, left it at room temp for a few hours, and then finished heating it right before lunch. From what I remember of the reports, the amount of time the food sat out was enough to allow the staph bacteria from her hands to multiply in the food. If that makes sense.

Whoa Finlady and Jamie!!! I thought I was scarred from what happened to me??? Those are really intense stories. I have so much sympathy for all of you (us), and am amazed that one unfortunate incident can so dramatically affect your life. I often wonder what I would be like if my episode never happened .

Quote Originally Posted by wargerbil View Post
    I wonder how she would feel if she knew she was remembered as the kid who puked on the lunch line in 2nd grade?
    I have a similar experience. In kindergarten, this boy was sitting a few seats down from me at the lunch table and he just tossed ALL of his cookies all on the table. I can still remember my classmates squirming to get away from him, and that's the only reason I can still remember his name!

In response to this thread, I have several stories.

The earliest memory I have of vomiting was when I was around 6 years old. I was visiting my aunt and uncle in Atlanta with my little brother, and the night we got to their house (we'd flown in, which was our very first flight) my brother got sick. A few days later, I got whatever he had and ended up getting sick in my sleep. It continued for days, and even my aunt caught it. It was quite a miserable trip.

My parents filed for divorce shortly after, and when I was around 8 or 9 on Christmas my mother and I got the stomach flu and spent the whole night getting sick. I think that was what did it for me; ever since, I'd counted the years for how many I'd gone without getting sick. I ended up getting sick April of last year, which basically just made my emetophobia come back with a huge vengeance. :/

Wow, some really interesting stories... When I was 6 my dad got remarried and a year later we had some of her (my new step mother) family over... Anyways, I was the oldest of 5 kids and my step.M sister had her new husband with their 4 kids over (Total people = 13). I think it was the first night when they were with us and the new StepUncle decided he wanted to cook us all supper, spahetti, "lovely" we all thought!
    The next day every single person had food poisioning and was up the whole day v*... We only had 5 toilets! Scared the life out of me (Was also the first time I can remember being ill).
    Never ate anything he cooked ever again! Beginning of my emet stage... =(

For me it was Halloween 2003 when I was 8 years old. I had a stomach virus.
    I was sick many times, and was tramatized because I couldn't stop.

Quote Originally Posted by sage View Post
    Asianeko - must be why you`re so well-adjusted!
    I think it's more because I'm stubborn

But reading over a few others, I moved from one town to another when I was 8, and that was really hard on me. I lost all my friends, and all I gained was a lot of weight. I was a size 18 in 4th grade! (Lost it all when I got braces!)

Not sure if that may have anything to do with it, because I don't remember being scared of it as much when living in the first town.

You may find these links helpful!

For me it was age 10 or 11. My parents went away for a long weekend and left me and my brother in the care of my Grandma. It was the only time I can EVER remember my parents leaving us over night. It was a Saturday over summer vacation. I woke up at my Grandma's feeling sick. I had a stomache ache and just felt sick all over. My uncle was over at my Grams replacing her carpet and doing other jobs around her apartment. I contined to feel sick the rest of the day. When it was time for bed my Brother and I made our beds out of blankets and pillows on the living room floor. As soon as I lyed down I felt worse. I was shivering and my brother covered me up with his favorite blue fuzzy blanket. As soon as the blanket was on me I sat up and vomited all over it. My brother ran to the other side of the room and my Grams gave me a trash can. I heaved a few more times. Then Grams started to yell at me. That I better not have gotten it on her new carpet and my brother was upset cuz I ruined his blanket.

Afterwords my Grandma was so mad and yelling, making it seem like I had gotten sick on purpose. She made me sleep in the hallway in front of the bathroom on a huge piece of plastic.

I didn't get sick again and I felt fine the next day, just hurt at how my Grams had reacted.

Nothing that I can remember happened to me at all, so I'm at a complete loss as to why I have this phobia at all, especially because my mum's a nurse and I used to hear all about vomit and stuff from her about her patients and it never had an immediate effect on me, I was completely fine with it. So I'm one of those people who has nothing, haha.

I got really ill with anxiety and reached and all time low of 3 stone!

A lot of bad things happened when I was 9 actually...

so not a good time!

I v* when I was 10? That incident caused my emet. Can't recall anything happened when I was 9 though.

It's really, really odd that so many people were around 9 years old... For me, I was 9 too. (This is just WEIRD)

A really bad stomach bug went around my class the day before school ended for summer. Well over half my class got sick (including me) but parents sent their kids to school anyway for the end of the year party. That's what triggered my emetophobia. Kids were getting sick all over the place, everybody was saying they felt sick, I was a mess that day. I never went to actual school again after that.

I was an emotional mess at that time anyway because my best friends dad had died very unexpectedly about 2 weeks earlier. I was really, really close to this girl and her father, and they lived next-door to me. Not too easy for a 9 year old.
    Last edited by leigh123; 05-23-2011 at 09:31 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Wow, that is strange that so many people had so many things happen at age 9. It was the worst year of my life for sure. Here are some of the experiences.

Spent the night at a neighbors house, and woke up to the neighbor kid v*ing in the bed next to me. I ran home at 2 in the morning.

Early in the year my granfather died of lung cancer (wasnt a smoker) and it spread through his whole body in no time. We were very close.

Later in the year our house burned down in the middle of the night, and my brother died in the fire. I was started by an electrical outlet in his room, and whole house and everything in it was destroyed. I wasn't home at the time, I was at a friends house. That night changed my life forever.

-Kim

I'm fascinated by all this. It's not coincidence, for sure. Although many emets say they've been afraid "for as long as they can remember" even so, something usually happens to them or in their family around the age of 9. There must be something about what parts of the brain are growing or developing at that time. I shall have to explore further.....
    Thanks for all the stories though guys!

I have always been an emet but around 8 or 9 my one sister got really REALLY sick with noro or some other vomiting virus and was sick for like a week. She had to go to the hospital, also around 9 or 10 we moved to another house across town and my emet just exploded there. I mainly attribute my emet to being adopted and not having a connection with a mother or father.

When In doubt, God prays to Hoffman