Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I'm not diagnosed but I think I have emetophobia

I'm 16 and my parents hate doctors and don't want to over medicate/medicate me so they see no value in getting a diagnosis for my anxiety or my possible emetophobia.
    I've always had anxiety at night, and I've always hated getting sick.
    (Minor tw?) My anxiety feels like someone is taking my stomach and shaking it, thus shaking my core and making my hands tremble. My brains go to thought is I'm gonna get sick and every garbage can I see feels like it's calling out to me.
    At night if it's bad the only things I can see are people getting sick and I don't know how to get rid of it.
    I recently went to an amusement park with my brother and I was super anxious pretty much the whole time. I didn't eat what I wanted, my brain visualized sickness in every garbage, and I don't know if I actually smelled bile at one point or if it was just my brain, but I had to leave that ride.
    In short, I've been doing a little research on emetophobia and I believe I have it. I hate saying I'm not diagnosed because that immediately discredits any of my opinions or ideas that have helped me cope.
    What is the process like to get diagnosed? Do I need parents permission? Is it worth it or do you think it will go away with time?

Default Re: I'm not diagnosed but I think I have emetophobia

Welcome, Looking. You have emetophobia. I would suggest you start by reading my Emetophobia FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions about Emetophobia) and my Vomiting FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions about Vomiting). There is a link to them in my signature, but you can't see signatures until you've made 10 posts. So go to emetophobia dot scienceontheweb dot net. Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: I'm not diagnosed but I think I have emetophobia

Hi!

I'm aware that you haven't posted since this thread started, but I couldn't just read and run.

From what I read, I agree with Doug. I think you do have emetophobia. Ditto his recommendation on reading the FAQ.

My parents are similar to yours in that they believe that needing to see a doctor is bad, in my case especially if it's relating to mental health.

To answer your question about being diagnosed without parent permission, i'd need to know where in the world you live. I'm in England, and the law here says that as soon as you turn 16, parents no longer have to be involved in their child's medical care. So if you're UK based, I'd say yes - you can be diagnosed without parents being there. I'm not sure what it's like I'm other countries though so I'm sorry if that wasn't helpful :/

It's sounds like you're having a rough time with your anxiety. I can relate, I'm a year older than you and I find that having this phobia when you're this young is kinda soul-sucking. I do the garbage can thing as well. Like, I struggle with having a bin in my room because it sets off my anxiety. And I feel the same physically too. It's so draining.

Anyway, I think you have done well with putting a name to your anxiety issues and even without a diagnosis, your emetophobia is still legit.

We're here for you on the forum and if you ever want to talk just dm me