Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Red face Some new info about SV* Vaccine.

Hey guys I just thought I should share.

Currently two companies and one university have had quite a few breakthroughs this year and last with developing a vaccine. I have listed some press about their breakthroughs below, there is nothing to graphic besides medical terms and the words v* and d*.

*Possible trigger warnings*

Here is some info on Vaxarts trials: https://www.precisionvaccinations.co...igh-dose-group

Takada Trials: https://www.healio.com/infectious-di...e-up-to-1-year

Arizona State Research: https://www.nbc26.com/news/national/...ate-university

Default Re: Some new info about SV* Vaccine.

This is exciting! thanks! but...I had a thought - would we have to GET the sv* to become immune to it ? that scares me, especially if its only like 98% effective!
    'Since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal'

2 Corinthians 4:18💜💜💜💜💜💜💜

So just wanted to point something out. Norovirus, while horrible is not really something most adults have to worry about. By the time you reach adult hood you likely have already had it and are protected against getting/if you do get it you will be far less sick. (If you think back to one REALLY bad stomach bug you had, that was probably norovirus).

Most stomach viruses that you get as an adult are from rotavirus, which much like the common cold mutates incredibly fast, and is not really something that they could reliably develop a vaccine for.

That being said, this vaccine for norovirus could be good for young children, or those with compromised immune systems (think pregnant woman, or those with chronic illness).

As for if you would have to get the SV, I didn't read the papers but probably not. With most vaccines, the side effects need to be less than the symptoms of the illness you are trying to prevent. Even more so if it is a vaccine that is routinely given (so pretty much all the required vaccines that kids get, pneumonia and flu vaccines would fall in this category). They likely are just exposing your body to a protein found on the surface of the norovirus, and not the actual virus it's self. And while us here may think of SV as the worst thing ever, in the medical community it is pretty benign, meaning symptoms beyond pain at injection site likely would disqualify it from passing FDA approval.
    There are some vaccines that are dangerous/can make you sick (in particular I am thinking of Yellow Fever), but those typically given only if needed (like if you are traveling to an area where there is Yellow Fever), and still have fewer risks than the actual disease (ie. temporary kidney failure, as opposed to death).

I don't mean to be rude (really i do not) but i believe you have it the opposite way around, everything i have read was that rotavirus affected mostly children (that's why we have a vaccine for them) and only affected adults with minimal symptoms. Noro develops a new strain every so often and can affect anyone of any age and immune response is only about 6 months to a year.

Can i donate to this research somewhere? This is what we all want!

Same thing I have heard Paisley.
    I also know plenty of people who get sick after having the flu vaccine. And for some reason even though the flu is repiratory they get sick with v. My husband has been one so he does not get it anymore.

Rotavirus is found mainly in young children and there is already a vaccine for that. A person can have norovirus many times in their lifetime. There is no permanent immunity like there is with chicken pox (assuming you had the illness not the vaccine). Rotavirus, on the other hand, typically only strikes a person once and is something young children get. My son had it when he was about 18 months old. My husband and I did not get it not did my other son who was six at the time. It was confirmed rotavirus by the doctor.

Great links, Paisley! Thanks for sharing them. I really hope there’s a vaccine soon because it’s going to really really help a lot of emetophobics finally feel safe in their world.
    Cheesecake - no, you certainly don’t have to get the disease for the vaccine to work. No worries!
    Jhr - yes, you do have the facts backwards. No worries. Rotavirus you only get once, and there’s a vaccine for kids. Noroviruses are a group of mutating viruses, for which the medical community is trying to develop a vaccine.
    Michelle - it’s impossible to get the flu from a flu vaccine, as only a killed virus is used. However lots of people do get sick around that time as they’ve been already incubating it and well - it’s flu season.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The flu shot is one I will not get. It has horrible things in it that the doctors do not want you to know about from past research on it. 43 years and I have never had Influenza, I have had pneumonia but doctor said it was due to an over abundance of allergy problems.