Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Braces and retainers and fear of gagging (AGAIN!) please help

Hi folks,

I have done a fair bit of complaining on here before about my brace appointments but I think today may be the second to last one going by what my orthodontist mentioned last week .. and I am on edge 6 hours before my appointment. I heard that as soon as they take braces off they do moulds and that you have to eat some sort of putty - can anyone explain what this is like? I gagged during the application and It was awful!!! I had three women cower over me telling me to breathe/stop/relax and I'm having flashbacks ..my friend just told me it actually tastes good and that they just scrape off the glue beforehand but my stomachs already hosting moths and butterflies and the place is an hour away ... hate how this phobia attacks us outside of any virus related things aswell as the usual concerns
    'Since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal'

2 Corinthians 4:18💜💜💜💜💜💜💜

Default Re: Braces and retainers and fear of gagging (AGAIN!) please help

I know what you're talking about and I've had it done before also. The best thing to do is take a couple of deep breaths to relax before the application. Also, explain to the person who is applying it to you that you have this discomfort. They should apply it more gentle to prevent gagging

Quote Originally Posted by tpc View Post
    I know what you're talking about and I've had it done before also. The best thing to do is take a couple of deep breaths to relax before the application. Also, explain to the person who is applying it to you that you have this discomfort. They should apply it more gentle to prevent gagging

Thanks so much for this and sorry for delay of response! It actually went ok, as you said explaining helped.. he told me to calm down before I sat down as I apparently seemed edgy but I said "oh don't worry I AM nervous" but unfortunately/fortunately I needed more work doing so I guess ill have to wait till next month. Now I'm gaggy from the elastics haha! thanks
    'Since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal'

2 Corinthians 4:18💜💜💜💜💜💜💜

The only time I ever felt even sort of Gaggy with braces/retainers was during the mold making process (where the put the clay tray in your mouth and have you bite down). I found that when I had the second mold done (at the end of my braces wear time to get a retainer) to just give them a heads up so the can make sure that there is not too much of an overflow of the mold material in the back.

Just to further explain what happens with the molds, you do not 'eat' clay or putty. Though it did taste like clay/putty, granted that was about 19 years ago for me, so they may now have flavored ones. They essentially scoop a hole bunch of this fast drying clay type stuff into a plastic mouth guard (Similar to the ones for fluoride treatments or sports mouth guards if you are familiar with those), and they put that in your mouth and have you bite down for like 30 seconds. than they remove it and you rinse your mouth.

funny and embarrassing story but i had braces five years ago. i still had emetophobia at that time but did not even gag at all with the molds. i recently got my teeth whitened, and they had to do molds because for extra treatment retainers. i thought 'I'm fine, nothing happened back then' but boy was i wrong. the bottom mold was fine, it was the upper mold that absolutely got me. for some reason i felt so sick, i really thought i was going to gag and so while the dentist assistant was securing it in about five seconds i immediately just took it out. bad idea haha. the mold/putty type thing was all over my hands, corners of my mouth, and some stuck to the roof of my mouth. the dentist was obviously very annoyed and it was more of an involuntary reaction to not v*. they obviously had to do it again and that time was better, although i was shaking really badly!