Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default losing interest in food again

last year i went down a terrible downward spiral that v* had taken over my mind and reminded me of the worst experience I've had with food so, I started to unintentionally restricted. Not because of calories but based off of what could potentially make me s*. My doctor diagnosed me with an eating disorder called ARFID. it is an eating disorder where you are afraid of food because of a horrible experience like choking or v*ing. Anyway, it was so bad that I had to be in a wheelchair and have a feeding tube up my nose. This past year was great till I had a triggering dream and a triggering encounter with my niece. my question is, What coping skills do you guys suggest that can help prevent me from spiraling out of control?

Default Re: losing interest in food again

Are you already in a spiral, or are you just worried/feeling one starting? I think the advice you would get would be different depending.

I also suffered from this (though at the time they did not call it that, but it was anorexia from my fear of vomiting). The only advice I can give yours the following.

If you are not in a spiral yet, but feel like one could be starting the first thing you have to do is force yourself to eat. Set a schedule, eat a specific amount of food at a specific time of day and repeat. Also seek out a therapist someone who you can talk through your issues with.

If you are already in a spiral, you may need to have a serious discussion with your doctor, to ensure that you are getting sufficient calories. You should deffinately still seek the help of a therapist, but you may also require temporary medication to help with your anxiety so that you can eat.

ARFID is a little different than dealing with just standard anorexia or bulimia, because it is not about looks, but instead is about fear so getting into therapy to help deal with that fear is going to be the most important thing you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by tigergirl321 View Post
    last year i went down a terrible downward spiral that v* had taken over my mind and reminded me of the worst experience I've had with food so, I started to unintentionally restricted. Not because of calories but based off of what could potentially make me s*. My doctor diagnosed me with an eating disorder called ARFID. it is an eating disorder where you are afraid of food because of a horrible experience like choking or v*ing. Anyway, it was so bad that I had to be in a wheelchair and have a feeding tube up my nose. This past year was great till I had a triggering dream and a triggering encounter with my niece. my question is, What coping skills do you guys suggest that can help prevent me from spiraling out of control?
    Sorry to hear about this.
    I too ended up in hospital but only for a short time in 2015...

I lost 8 pounds within about 2 months last winter due to some bug/virus I picked up over Christmas. Finally up to a healthy weight(sort of) now but came down with what feels like a minor flu yesterday and..low and behold - scared to even look at food.
    I told myself to eat this morning even though felt groggy and honestly? felt great all day..energized...no tummy feelings...I feel off tonight but I've loaded my body with sugar and acid triggers. still unsure if I'm sick but I'm gonna try and eat tomorrow even if its a little bit.
    Hope you're ok, I don't think you'll spiral after one incident, not as much as you did last time anyway.
    'Since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal'

2 Corinthians 4:18💜💜💜💜💜💜💜

hey there, i dont have problems with eating bc im nauseous when im not eating so im always eating especially when im not home, im always nauseous before school and i cant even have some soup, but after school i can eat kfc and be ok with it, its all with the anxiety, please help me