Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation In Need Of Desperate Help

I'm really needing some help and guidance right now.. My boyfriend came down with a SV this morning, and I was with him last night. He started showing symptoms a couple hours ago, but the last time I'd been around him was almost twelve hours ago. My mind has convinced me that I have it now.. my stomach hurts, I can't stop burping, I've been crying and panicking for an hour now. I would rather die than V or contact a SV; I'm new to this forum, I didn't know where else to turn because nobody in my life understands how truly serious and debilitating this phobia is. I feel like I am losing control, like I've lost my mind. It gets so bad that I refuse to spend time with anybody until a week after their symptoms disappear.. The minute I hear a SV is going around, I scrub my hands endlessly throughout the day until they're cracking and bleeding. I don't want to be like this anymore, but I don't know how to get rid of it. I need some reassurance or something, I need coping mechanisms to get through times like this.. I need to know that I'm not alone and that there are others who deal with it as well. If there's anybody who can talk me through this, who can show me that I'm not alone, I would appreciate it like no other. I don't want to endure this endless struggle any longer.

Default Re: In Need Of Desperate Help

It's not impossible for him to have been contagious nine hours before he started showing symptoms, but you probably don't have to worry. What were his symptoms? How do you even know it was a stomach virus?
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I know, and it scares me. I've avoided eating all day because the fear that it might come back up. His symptoms are severe headache, muscle aches, cold chills, sweating, and ultimately throwing up. I've done research on the virus for years now and he has every sign but diarrhea; it's going around like crazy where I live as well. I was feeling completely fine earlier until he told me he was sick, then my mind instantly convinced me that I have it. I tried taking a nap to ease the panic, but I woke up every twenty minutes or so shaking and with serious nausea. I can't escape it, even in my sleep. I know that I don't currently have it, but my mind is tricking my body into believing otherwise and I'm feeling miserable in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by ToBeWithYou16 View Post
    I know, and it scares me. I've avoided eating all day because the fear that it might come back up. His symptoms are severe headache, muscle aches, cold chills, sweating, and ultimately throwing up. I've done research on the virus for years now and he has every sign but diarrhea; it's going around like crazy where I live as well. I was feeling completely fine earlier until he told me he was sick, then my mind instantly convinced me that I have it. I tried taking a nap to ease the panic, but I woke up every twenty minutes or so shaking and with serious nausea. I can't escape it, even in my sleep. I know that I don't currently have it, but my mind is tricking my body into believing otherwise and I'm feeling miserable in the process.
    I know I always tell the same story but I was in bed with my ex who had noro for like 2 hours and I kissed him.. I think he must have brushed his teeth after he was sick cos I didn't get it..what I did get was the after effect of big weight loss and a continuous panic even to this day when someones ill.
    Anyway, I really really think you'll be ok - you definitely don't have it so far and as time goes on the likelihood of you getting it is gonna be less and less.
    but I so understand, its horrible..some say its worse when someone else is sick cos of all the worrying etc
    'Since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal'

2 Corinthians 4:18💜💜💜💜💜💜💜

That doesn't sound like a stomach virus.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Yeah, I haven't thrown up yet and I'm really hoping I don't. I finally got some food down yesterday and slept for several hours without waking up puking so that's a plus. The worry that comes from this time of the year is unbearable, I refuse to touch anything without using my shirt or rubber gloves. He never ended up getting diarrhea so that makes me question whether it is a stomach bug as well. We both have a weird symptom of an intense swollen throat, so much for me that I can't move my neck without feeling pain. I'm thinking that maybe he got mono or something from work, but I don't know if people throw up from that. He's going to the doctor in a couple days to figure out what's going on, I'm hoping and praying that it comes back as something besides a SV so I don't have to wait a week to see him. These past couple days have been so hard, I've just wanted to curl up in a ball and cry until it all goes away. My mind has been playing games on me, so I've been having a lot of stomach pain and nausea.. there's absolute chaos in my mind and it feels impossible to get rid of it.