Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default "Exposure Therapy" (WARNING: a bit graphic)

So this happened a couple months ago, but I was very proud of myself! I have had emetophobia for as long as I can remember, but I don't have as many panic attacks as I used to when I was a kid. However, I get very upset if I am around someone who gets v* or if I see a video/picture of someone getting v*. Over the summer I had a job as a hostess at a restaurant, and one night, a customer was acting weird. After his party was done with their meal, as they stood up to leave, he collapsed on the ground. Me being the hostess, all I had to do was stand at my post, so I pretty much saw everything that was going on. His friends/family (whoever they were) helped him get into a chair, and his waitress and the manager brought him a cold rag and some water, and another waiter called 911. I was nosy and kept watching everything unfold, and once the paramedics got there, they sat with him for a few minutes. (Here's where it gets graphic) All of the sudden, the man v* on the floor. I saw everything. I immediately turned to the person next to me (the other host) and explained as calmly as possible, that I can't handle when someone v*, and I need to go to the back of the restaurant for a few minutes, or I might have a panic attack. Even though it was a little embarrassing to be so honest about my emetophobia to someone I hardly knew, they let me go to the back and I was able to get something cold to drink and take some deep breaths, and (this might sound a bit strange) but I sang songs in my head to distract me. After a few minutes, I felt better and was able to finish my shift for the night. It seems like a small victory, but I am proud of myself for being calm and honest, and not freaking out like I used to! I was even able to tell a few friends about the story without getting nervous! It's been YEARS since I've witnessed someone v*, and I handled it VERY differently than I did the last time it happened. Sorry for such a long post! (But celebrate the little things! They add up!)

P.S. The man was taken to the hospital and is alright, and it wasn't the food he ate that caused it.

Default Re: "Exposure Therapy" (WARNING: a bit graphic)

This is amazing, you should be so proud of yourself!!