Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default New to forum but not to emet

Hi everyone,

First of all can I say how proud you should all be that you are actually talking about it.
    I'm 59 and have suffered from it since I was 6 - childhood trauma which I can trace exactly to when my father had chemo and v. a lot and I became trapped in bathroom with him on one occasion and couldn't get out.
    Sadly knowing why hasn't helped me and over the years its risen and waned like a big dipper. I have not spoken of it to any of my friends and have only told my partner of 9yrs about it in the last year or so. I have become very adept at excuses and covering up but unfortunately my partner has motion sickness (of all the people he could meet and it had to be me). He is also a nurse - and yes, worry over norovirus at this time of the year, freaks me out, is he bringing bugs home and what do I do if he's sick. He actually caught it about 6 weeks ago and I couldn't be in the same room. My cleaning goes out of all proportion and anxiety hits an all time peak.
    I'm lucky in that I don't have fears of v.myself but I do wonder if that's because I somehow seem to control the feeling....I have only ever v. twice in my life, once as a child and then when I was 18. I have felt n. on occasions but somehow will myself over it, if that's even possible?
    The reason for this post (& I appreciate you following my ramblings) is that I am very stresed at the moment as its the other half's Christmas do on Fri. Last year he came home very much the worse for wear and v. most of the night. I couldn't go into him and I'm panicking this year so much so that I'm actually going away for the weekend to friends as I can't bear to be here if its a repeat performance. We had a terrible row about it and he's promised he won't drink so much this year (he doesn't make a habit of it) but I can't get last year out of my head.
    Thanks for reading.

Default Re: New to forum but not to emet

Thanks for posting, Dreamer. Your streak is almost as long as mine. 41 years is a long time to go without vomiting. Just think, go another 41 years and you'll be 100!

The chances of an adult vomiting unexpectedly are very small. Just remember that even if someone pukes, they will likely have plenty of warning. And I think he knows to get away from you!

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks Doug......I thought he knew that last year, but this year I'm away.
    Do you think its possible to will yourself not to?

Yes, I really do. It's how you and I and others have kept vomit free for over 40 years.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see