Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Camp?

Does anyone else get a bit scared when going off to sleep away camp for
    a longer time- because of people throwing up? I go to a camp in North
    Carolina, it's about a month long session, and we live in small wooden
    cabins, usually about 10-14 girls in each of the cabins. From when I
    first started going when I was about seven or eight or so, I have
    always feared someone throwing up and then the bug spreading through
    the whole cabin... Every year there is usually someone who throws up or
    says that they feel sick, and that sends me into a big panic attack...
    But all other aspects of camp I love so much, I couldn't ever not go.
    Just wondering if anyone had that fear about Summer Camps.
    -Anna

I have never been to camp. I always refuse when my parents bring it up OO I dont think i could survive going to camp! I couldnt stand being in close contact with all those sick and germy people ><
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    target=\"_blank\">

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    </a>

never been to a camp... but ican imagine, yes i wud be just like what u r describing

Jen xxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

Yeah I hear you, I went to camps (both overnight and day) and was a camp counselor for a summer (never again!) and yes the fear of people or especially myself being sick was always at the back of my mind, but I didn't like camp too much for other reasons, I mean i didnt like the being away from home factor, and I tend to be a person who would rather be in my own company or just one other person who i really enjoy being around, rather than being in a cabin full of other people all the time and never getting any alone time.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">I wasn't too bad when I went I was even called to be a lifegaurd and counsellor for a week trip on an island. No one ever got sick. When I was younger a couple of kids gota nauseous and stuff but it was from the heat and they had been racing up the big hills to the main building. The last time I went it was for a human rights conference and there were LOTS of people there but it all went smooth. I just made sure to have my Gravol, Gaviscon and ginger ale packed with me and I think I had gum too.
    I think if you can bring a few comfort things and put it to the back of your mind (I know easier said than done) you will have a GREAT time. I am glad that the camping wasn't something that I missed out on. I missed out on a A LOT of things because of my fears but that was one I wouldn't let the EMET take over.
    I hope you go and have fun, if not then don't be down about it and maybe try the next time. BIG HUGS</TD></TR>
    <TR hb_tag="1" UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

I love camp!! BUT, I used to be verrry afraid to go because of v*. I signed up for one week-longcamp the summer before 7th grade. I was so excited and Ihadpaid for half ofit and everything, but when the time came to actually go...I couldn't! I think it was mostly the 5 hourbus ride there - at that time I was terrified of busses (buses?) so Ihad this huge panic attack. So, I lost $250 anda great week at camp. I know it would've been great because I went the next year and had a blast! Your camp sounds like a lot of fun too, so have a wonderful time!!!
    No life is wasted; the only time we waste is the time we spend thinking we are alone.

Yeah- at camp I usually force the other girls in my cabin to use the
    hand sanatizer I'd bring, or wash their hands before meals. Other than
    that I try not to stress over people getting sick, but it can be hard
    at times... I wonder if homesickness plays a part in people feeling
    sick, because when I was younger, more of the girls that got homesick,
    were the ones that ended up feeling/getting sick. I never was homesick,
    even when I was younger, but I'd always wonder if that would play a
    part in people getting sick.
    -Anna

Wow rhinoseri!i could never go anywhere like that! Not for that long anyway!! Gosh u r brave for doing that and working thru it!

Rachel xxx

I was a camper, and I have to say even though this has been a lifelong phobia for me, I never seemed to worry about it. I started camp when I was 11, and went/worked until I was 17...never a worry...oddly enough. I suppose, because I loved camp so much that the thought never crossed my mind.

Now...as a mother...I can tell you...that kids seldom get sick over the summer...that is really not the height of virus season. Both of my kids go to overnight camp, and while my daughter has gotten sick...(she made it to the bathroom), it was not from a virus, but rather strept throat.

Don't let this phobia ruin one of the best times of your life!