Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default EMDR for Emetophobia

I was wondering if anyone on here has ever tried EMDR for their phobia. I have been doing CBT for the past year but I'm about to start seeing a new therapist who I'm going to try EMDR with. From what I read EMDR has really good results for those with OCD, eating disorders, and childhood trauma (some other things I'm working on) but I haven't seen anything on emetophobia. Has anyone tried it? I assume if there are events linked with the phobia that EMDR can help but I wanted to know if anyone has done it personally and has had luck with it.

Default Re: EMDR for Emetophobia

What is EMDR? I will be starting CBT soon but I have not herd of EMDR yet,

I’ve had it!! It was fab!!!!!

Had literally years of CBT which wasn’t really working for me! I had a few sessions of EMDR and it really worked!! Think I got it in 2015 ish!! And it’s now 2019 and it’s only been since January, and a number of events in my life which have set my anxiety high again! So I’m back in here for a little while and got to ring Mind tomorrow for some more EMDR!!!

Would definitely recommend it!!!

Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) therapy is an interactive psychotherapy technique used to relieve psychological stress. It is an effective treatment for trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)

This is what it is! It’s very relaxing too! We sat and went through lots of events that happened over the years s* related and the lady has you close your eyes and she either taps on your hands on knees, talking through each event and giving logical explanations and why it’s ok to feel the way I did at that time and what to do next time!

I literally used to walk out of each session on top of the world!! I really can’t wait to have some again!!

I am currently undergoing EMDR therapy! I love it, it's definitely difficulty at times but I feel like I am making progress for the first time ever. I have been in therapy for about 9 months now. Best of luck

I had EMDR when I was going through CBT for emetophobia. It wasn't a quick-fix like they claim, but it was very interesting and helpful in getting to the root of my anxiety and phobia. It was pretty cool.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hello,

Treatment options are dependent on the person; however, exposure and response prevention (ERP, a type of CBT) is the gold standard for treating emetophobia.