Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default how do i get over this

I'm 12 and I have emetophobia and I think I have OCD too. I don't want this to become a problem later in life - how can I get over it? I haven't vomited since i was 3.

Default Re: how do i get over this

I was your age when I first came onto this forum. I've been on and off over the years. The good news about this phobia is you go through periods where it doesn't bother you, but I don't know how to help you get over it unfortunately. What I can say is that it'll get easier if you work at it, reach out to a therapist, and talk to someone about it. On the bright side, it seems you don't really v* much so try and remind yourself of that. Wishing you the best

I think it's really amazing that you're identifying this at such a young age. I think that will help you tremendously. Definitely look for a therapist if at all possible. If that's not possible, experiment with some ideas people suggest--clearly this effects everyone differently, but you'll find a way of dealing with this that works for you.

I can't see a therapist, not just yet - I'd like to work on my mindset without the big guns and all that, for now at least.

As the mom of a 12 year old, I commend you for being so self aware about this. OCD/Anxiety/Emet often go hand in hand. Hope is not lost and you could easily push through this phobia without it taking hold of your life. The big thing you need to do is (talk to someone about the overall anxiety - emet is hard to treat as a standalone phobia) and (b) don't change your life to avoid it. Number 2 is key - many of us emets have spent years, or even decades, avoiding things that could result in v - roller coasters, eating sushi or fun food that we want, traveling. PUSH THROUGH THAT FEAR and BE BRAVE. You are young enough that you can get past this.

Good luck. You can do this. I know you can.

Thank you so much! Yep, I normally do avoid roller coasters, and I don't eat anything raw or close to. *you know something weird, eating normally makes me feel much better about my phobia... odd.*
    Again, thank you

I feel the best when I don't let my phobia control my decisions...it's like for a split second I say to myself "if it happens whatever" lol but yeah, i became a vegetarian bc of my emetophobia (it actually ended up benefitting me a lot more tho in other ways like w ibs and such). I agree with mdgirl about not letting it hold you back. there's so much to live and experience, and you can do all of it, even if a little part of your brain still fears v*