Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Newly Self-Diagnosed

Hi. I'm new to this and find it both disturbing and fascinating. Diagnosing this problem that has plagued me on and off for decades is a relief, but at the same time it would be WAY cooler if it meant there was a pill I could take and then move on (though benzos have helped me significantly, I have to guard against overuse). It's amazing how it all makes sense now, and it seems in reading people's experiences that it often is traced back to some kind of trauma between ages 8-12. Does that seem right to others? Aside from CBT, does anyone have any advise?

Default Re: Newly Self-Diagnosed

Welcome new member as I am new recently new to this site too, I have had my problems for over 30 years ,started in high school. It is nice to chat with other people that unfortunalty suffer from same problems and some of us share the same superstitions. Sorry I don not have any advice at this time my anxiety has gotten out of control at the moment. but reading these post from others helps me a-little knowing that others are feeling the same.

Quote Originally Posted by cookiepup View Post
    Welcome new member as I am new recently new to this site too, I have had my problems for over 30 years ,started in high school. It is nice to chat with other people that unfortunalty suffer from same problems and some of us share the same superstitions. Sorry I don not have any advice at this time my anxiety has gotten out of control at the moment. but reading these post from others helps me a-little knowing that others are feeling the same.

One helpful thing about understanding what's going on, is that now when I have an "episode" I feel like I've accomplished something. Rather than getting confused and upset with myself for my throat tightening and getting n*, I'm psyched that I was able to do what I needed to do to get through it.

Mine definitely started from when I was a kid! I was prob like 7 and now I’m 27! I think my mom freaking out when I was sick as a kid made me terrified of V*. It was very traumatic that time I was sick-i can still remember it like it was yesterday. I have gotten on lexapro and it’s been a lifesaver. I know that I’ll never be 100% cured from this phobia, but I’m so thankful for medicine and this site with people who are going through the same struggle! Welcome to the club!