Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Is there a real relationship between Panick attacks and Emetophobia???

Many times I felt there was a "ball" in my throat and I feared vomiting, but I felt very anxious too.I regularly take anti-emetics.My mother suffers from panick attack and we think I have the same problem as her. I'm confused! Help me!Edited by: lufoglio

Emetophobia is an anxiety disorder (a version of "specific phobia") Panic attack is one symptom of phobia, as itcan bea symptom of other disorders. Panic attacks are not harmful, and can be treated. But left untreated they can be severely debilitating.

In phobias, the patient experiences a strong, persistent fear that is excessive or unreasonable. The phobic stimulus (in your case, the idea of vomiting) provokes an anxiety response which may either be a panic attack or symptoms of anxiety not quite strong enough to meet the criteria for panic attack. Phobias are also characterized by an incredible force of avoidance of the stimulus, and the fact taht the fear leads one to disrupt life routines, work or socialization.

I am quoting most of this from the DSM-IV which is the book that psychiatrists and psychologists use to diagnose emotional disorders and mental illness.

I hope this helps you and welcome to our site! You'll find some important helpful information on the "sticky" topics at the top of the "treatments" thread. Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

as sage said.... a sympton of emetophobia is panic attacks.

but, u dont have to have panic attacks to be emetophobic...

i can never find nething to say wen sage has posted first, lol, so i'll leave it at that.

Jen xxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

Thank you fortheinformation.I'm happy to be here. I'm shocked [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]! I didn'tknow that Emetophobia could affect people in that way. That'swhy I was confuse. Thanks.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">Just to say I hate that ball in the throat feeling. I find I end up swallinga ton of air because I swallow soooo hard from it and I end up feeling worse. [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]I get an anxiety attack which in turn makes me feel queasy which makes me panick more because I think that I will get sick.
    Heheh and Sage can sum up anything and answer it it seems so I am sure you won't geta lot of replies back. </TD></TR>
    <TR hb_tag="1" UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

Is this "ball-in-the-throat" feeling common? It is not the "normal" nausea.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">I don't think it could be classified under the "normal nausea" because I personally have never had the feeling when I was actually sick nor have I eve been sick from the feeling.
    </TD></TR>
    <TR hb_tag="1" UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

The 'ball in the throat' feeling is a symptom of anxiety, rather than a kind of nausea - but since emets are hypersensitive to these sorts of feelings, they often interpret it as meaning they are going to be sick, and panic more... hence the vicious circle.

If anyone ever became sick from the 'ball in the throat' feeling, the chances are strongly that the sickness was caused by panic rather than by the throat feeling itself.

When you get that feeling, you'd be better off using techniques to control anxiety than taking anti-emetics. If the anti-emetics make the feeling go away, it'salmost certainly because you believe the feeling is nausea, which the drugs treat(so your anxiety subsides).You should get the same result from non-chemical anti-anxiety techniques.

Having said that, I'm no professional. That's just my understanding of the subject. Good luck!

Your understanding is right on, Leopardess! The problem with emetophobes is that they (I'd say we, cuz I was one of them, but I guess I'm not now) cannot distinguish between normal bodily feelings and nausea that will lead to vomiting. Many types of throat feelings, head-feelings (dizziness, lightheadedness) and stomach/bowel feelings are normal, everyday occurences to the general public. Also the younger you are, the less able you are to figure these out (teenagers are more anxious emets than older people, cuz the longer you live, the more you realize none of these feelings ever make you vomit).

I suggest writing down an exact description of the feeling (say the "ball in the throat") Describe exactly how it feels and how bad it is on a scale of 0-10 with 0 being no anxiety or feelings of distress and 10 being too overwhelming to tolerate, or vomiting itself. Then record the date, and of course, the fact you did not vomit from this feeling. If you do this each and every time eventually you will realize that none of the feelings you describe are actual indicators of vomiting. This seems to help a lot of people. Good luck!

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Sage: your right when u say teenage emets are more anxious generally becuse they have not had the " experience" of konwing what feelings relate to sickness e.t.c. i have learnt, (but it took me 17 yrs) tht sometimes u can feel ill from heat. i never thought tht before, i used to think i was actually ill and wud actually v*. but u wont.

anyway, random post, sorry.

Jen xxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to write down a description of the feeling.I've never felt sick after having this "ball" thing. That's true. I should think about it when I'm starting to panic.

I have Gastroesophageal reflux disease since I was born and the "ball" feeling was relatedto that. I had this feeling almost every day, it was terrible. I tried to think that I wouldn't vomit, but the feeling was stronger.Now I'm sure that it has an emotional component. It can't be just a digestive problem. I'm going to write down, as you said.

Thanks again.

Leopardess, do you know any anti-anxiety techniques?

Long post alert! [img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]

I know a few tricks, but most of them are things I've been taught that deal with my specific anxiety. There's a book that's been recommended to me - the Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne. I have it on order so I haven't yet read it myself, but it's supposed to have an excellent range of techniques for controlling anxiety and panic. Here are a few of my favourites from my own experience, however.

~~~

One of the easiest is becoming aware of your own breathing. Rapid breathing is a result of anxiety, and getting it under control can soothe the anxiety - but besides that, focussing on your breathing gives you something relaxing to concentrate on.

When I'm getting anxious, I find it helpful to put one hand on my upper stomach, close my eyes and concentrate on the feeling of breathing so deeply that I can feel my diaphragm moving in under my hand. Breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth seems to be best. If you have some calm musicyou can breathe in time to, so much the better.

~~~

Teaching yourself relaxation or meditationtakes a bit longer but can be VERY useful. I had a nurse teachit to me, but I'm sure there are books you could find that would help you learn it yourself. Here's one basic technique as I understand it. I seem to recall its name is the Progressive Muscle Relaxation technique.

You need to practice when you're not feeling panicky and won't be disturbed. Sit or lie still with your eyes closed (I like to lie on my back). Then tense up your fists as tight as they will go, hold it like that for a few seconds, then relax for a few more. Do this a few times, then move onto your other arm muscles,holding them as tense as you can for a few seconds, then letting them go limp, and repeating. Workthrough your entire body like this, finishing at your face. As you work on each body part, try and focus all your concentration on the tensing and relaxing.

Once you've got the hang of it, try and practice every day. If the only peace you can get in a normal day is five minutes in a quiet toilet, that's better than nothing! You can bring breathing in if you like - breathing in through your nose while you tense the muscles, and out through your mouth as you relax.

Then, when you start to feel frightened or anxious, you have a learned tool to help you combat it. Find somewhere quiet and start your routine. Remember to aim your concentrationtowards your muscles. I find that my physical symptoms of anxiety then simply calm and disappear.

~~~

My final favoured technique is what the nurse described as 'positive self-talk'. If you're the type of person who often catches yourself thinking things like 'I'm hopeless, this is going to be awful, I might die, I'm going to be sick' - make a list of what those thoughts are for you. Then re-evaluate them logically. Replace the self-loathing andfeelings of impending catastrophe with statements of logic: 'I can handle this, it's unlikely to be as bad as I think,it is only my anxiety that is making me feel ill, this feeling has NEVER made me be sick' - and my most important 'Anxiety can't hurt me'.

This is all meant to give you a feeling of control over your panic and correct your negative assumptions about how bad things are. Even if it doesn't seem to be making things better at first, having positive rather than negative thoughts going round your head will at least stop your anxiety's forward acceleration and begin the backpedalling! You could alsouse this alongside Sage's excellent suggestion.

I really hope you can find something useful in there that helps you get your anxiety under control. Do let us know how it goes! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

On the treatments thread there's a sticky post at the top about panic attacks - check out the link within. It's got great advice for relaxation, and countering panic.