Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default How do you know you are conquering your emetophobia?

I was just wondering that even if I haven’t conquer it fully, how will I know I have conquered it a bit or even mostly.

Default Re: How do you know you are conquering your emetophobia?

It's simple. When you start to realize that v*ing isn't as big of a deal and the thought of it doesn't effect you as badly as it used to. Doing "normal" things as if you never were an emet. For me personally I can tell that I'm doing a lot better and conquering it because I can eat out again without worrying as much about the food or people, I can go to the store and not be afraid, I feel nauseous and not freak out and be able to breathe through it. I can read and watch things with v* in it and have minimal anxiety. I'm able to not wash my hands as often, don't even give it much of a thought, and shrug off my anxiety at the thought of getting sick ect, ect. You may have varying results depending on your personal phobia however.

Quote Originally Posted by littlemoonwolf View Post
    It's simple. When you start to realize that v*ing isn't as big of a deal and the thought of it doesn't effect you as badly as it used to. Doing "normal" things as if you never were an emet. For me personally I can tell that I'm doing a lot better and conquering it because I can eat out again without worrying as much about the food or people, I can go to the store and not be afraid, I feel nauseous and not freak out and be able to breathe through it. I can read and watch things with v* in it and have minimal anxiety. I'm able to not wash my hands as often, don't even give it much of a thought, and shrug off my anxiety at the thought of getting sick ect, ect. You may have varying results depending on your personal phobia however.
    Okay, so I am getting over it than. I can joke about v*, hear family members v*, handle seeing my dog v*; but I did have a panic attack when I got a strange feeling in my stomach and did briefly worry when my mom appeared to have the stomach virus.

For me it was seeing it on a movie or TV show and laughing at it (it was meant to be funny), and then getting noro and not being the least bit anxious.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's also important to note that recovery is not linear! You will hit bumps in the road, but you will overcome them with proper help!

When I stopped thinking about it, I am no longer scared to do it, I been recovered for 8years, all it took was courage and understanding of my body.

Exactly what Littlemoonwolf said. Could not have said it better.

The shadow - I think even non-emets get a bit worried when their stomach feels off or when a parent/child is sick. That is just being a human being. The difference is how you handle that fear - do you panic and curl up in a ball and stop eating for 3 days and refuse to interact with the sick person or do you lean into the feelings, accept them and think rationally.

I am definitely not cured, but when my 13 yo son feels sick I do not run away or call his dad to get him. I sit on the sofa with him, I comfort him, I give him ice packs for his neck and I stroke his hair until he is better. Inside I am panicky, but not to the point where my blood pressure is sky rocketing and I can't breathe. I also do not FREAK THE EFF OUT when my stomach is off, which is sadly a lot more frequent lately (gastritis + COVID is not a good combination). I just focus on the severity of the feeling, breathe, get ice packs and try to work through it.

It is a marathon, not a sprint. But it sounds like you are on the right track, so keep up the good work and hopefully you can stay on here as a calming force versus someone needing help! I think I have crossed over to the that point myself, which I take as a good sign.