Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I know I have written several times about the sv* that is sweeping
    through here right now. But I have a question for those serious
    germ avoidance people out there! My daughter had her first
    swimming lesson tonight and the pool was full of about 50 kids. Does
    chlorine kill sv*???

Yes, chlorine kills stomach viruses, but a lot of people don't like to take chances this time of year. Even if the water is safe, swimmers are in close contact and many exude (ahem) bodily fluids.

A lot of emets don't swim in natural waters because there is no chlorine to kill stomach viruses. There is occasionally an outbreak of Norwalk in the summertime among people who frequent beaches. Surfers who swim in bays near sewage outlets also report getting gastroenteritis often.

I wish I had more good news for you, but I worry this time of year when I go to swimming pools myself.

Doug

Actually, there is one type of bug that chlorine does not kill. ( I researched this last summer as my daughter spent most days at the pool ) Actually, I think I found this out on the Today show or something. I forget what it is, but it starts with a C and can make a person very sick.

However...
    I still sent my daughter to the pool with her day camp each day and she had a blast and never got sick. You have to consider it this way.. It's no more risky than touching a door knob or being in a room with someone. Sickness is out there and we have to learn to accept it. So send her and try really hard not to worry about it. If she is meant to get an illness she will get it whether it's at the pool or at school or what have you. We really can't control as much as we would like to believe.

\"This too shall pass\"

Oh no! My daughter has a swimming lesson this evening. She loves swimming though and since we live near the sea it is so important that she learns to swim. I have to be strong and let her go, but it is yet another worry at this time of year. I always thought the chlorine killed svs.

http://www.safewater.org/facts/crypto.htm

I think that's the bug.. Chlorine doesn't kill it. It's called cryptosporidiosis</span></font>

</font></span>
    \"This too shall pass\"

What about the ocean? Can you catch stuff in there with the salt water? I go in it all of the time. Just curious.

I know that a lot of people pee in the ocean. I know. It is gross, but my husband said that the salt in the water dilutes it, and it goes away. I hope.

well, pee i think is sterile. don't think you would catch sv from pee. plus, the ocean is huge... think about it... fish poop in there
    \"This too shall pass\"

LOL shiva. I never actually thought about a fish taking a dump before, thats halarious. I got a vision of a fish sitting on the throne.

I try to aviod pools that are swarmed with kids, not because of the SV threat, but just because kids to tend to do their business in the water, and in a pool, there is no where for it to go. the thought kind of grosses me out.

In a lake, it doesnt bother me, because usually lakes and oceans are huge, and its more so part of nature ( I would think it would get broken down by the current, absorbed into the ground, and then cleaned by the salt).

just aviod the " warm" spots, haha!![img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

When I tried to do research on it, it said rivers and lakes were
    actually worse for sv* bec there was no chlorine. Who knows for
    sure! The cryptosporidiosis just causes d*, so I can live with that.

I have to share something that happened recently: My sis is slightly emet, and she was telling me that her fiance, his family and she went to a public pool. Well, she doesn't like p. pools (neither do I!!!!!), and didn't want to get into it, well everyone was pressuring her to get in, so she finally did. WELL, she wasn't even in the pool 1 minute, until the lifeguard yeled "Everyone OUT of the pool!! There is V* on the premises"!!!!! I laughed so hard when she told me this, because she said her fiance told her that she was out of that pool in a split second, and the terrified look on face was priceless!!!!! She told me the she's kinda glad it happened because she proved her point! I won't criticize anyone who swims in p. pools, but I can tell you that if there are small kids in one, you couldn't pay me enough $$ in the world to go in!!!!!!! It's too bad too, because I LOVE swimming!!
    ~*~Charlene~*~

In my younger days I was a competitive swimmer. I spent every morning and every evening in the pool for up to 2 hours at a time and every weekend involved touring the country swimming in all sorts of different pools. No-one in my club ever caught a sv!

There are cases of crypto but these are more likely to be in the pools oflow budgetholiday complexes abroad rather than local municipal pools.

Enjoy the swimming!

I used to go swimming all the time when I was a little kid. I mean all summer we would spend at the local pool, you had to have a membership to swim there. I never got a sv. Although I do remember going to the pool when I had a cold and swimming anyway. LoL sorry I probably shouldn't have done that, but it says chlorine kills germs right? Anyway I don't swim any more, I don't really like water (Unless it's for a bath/shower of course) When I go to the beach I'll wade in the water but never go in. I prefer to lay out in the sand and read and smoke (Cigarettes nothing else [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]) But I have a sister who LOVES Swimming and I don't think she's ever gotten sick from that either. I do remember people blowing their noses in the water at the pool though and that always grossed me out.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I used to love swimming when I was younger - spent many a school holiday down at the outside pool with my friends in the summer...... Now though, you could not pay me enough to even dip my toe into a swimming pool - public or private! All those people swimming around and spitting and God knows what else!!!! Not a chance, no way!!!

Tell your daughter not to swallow the water, then when she gets home throw her in the shower for a good scrub down, lol.

I always thought the big problem with public pools was when children wearing diapers went into the pool and leaked their viruses all over. Icky. If you're still worried ask the pool manager how often the water is checked for chemicals. If they're on the ball about this there shouldn't be a problem with SV.

Nikki

Okay emet sucks. Now that you mentioned that thing about surfers I
    don't even feel safe swimming in the ocean! ::sigh:: Looks like I'm
    just going to have to make enough money to get
    my own pool before I can go swimming again. [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

On the other hand though, I once went swimming in a damn swamp without
    any problem. Of course, in that case there's probably more danger from
    the creatures that live there than from sv germs. There were no
    alligators in that part of the country, but there were poisonous
    snakes...I know I saw one later that same day (not while I was in that
    water).

I wish it was that easy to just tell my daughter not to swallow the
    water. She is 2. It won't do me a bit of good. She didn't catch
    anything, and the sv* in this area seems to be on it's way out. I think
    I am even going to let her go back to her Mother's Day out next
    week. Her teacher called today and asked where she's been. I
    asked if there was any more sv* going around and she said no one
    has been absent or sick this week, so I'm going to let her go back.

I used to LIVE in the local VFW pool in the summers, and I never got sick. I was there from 12-6, 7 days a week every summer. Gosh, I miss those days.