Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: hello

[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]Hi I m new to this sight and was amazed when I logged on at the number of people who share similar feelings and experiences to me.

I have had emet for as long as I can remember. However things came to a head 18 months ago when i began to suffer from panic attacks and constantly felt anxious my GP put it down to Post natal depression as until then I had never felt able to disscus it with him. I had had a very rough year as my father and father in law had both died and my youngest son had been seriously ill several times.

at present I am getting by on anti emetics and beta blockers. I am so pleased that there are similar people to me to talk to about emet.

Welcome Lindsayanne - I havent been a member long but it is great to know its there and you can say whatever you like without looking or feeling silly about it - becasue everybody here knows exactly how you are feeling.

[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Hi Lyndsay - found your post! I'm sorry you had such a tough year, it's not surprising you were ill as you had such a lot to cope with in such a short space of time.

Were you prescribed anti-depressants for your post natal depression? I've been on anti-emetics and beta blockers in the past too, but they never helped me enough. In fact you name it, I've tried it to try and cope with anxiety, panic attacks, depression and phobias! One thing's for sure it does help being able to come to a site like this and know you will get friendly support and helpful advice!

Tracey xEdited by: tcsarah
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

hi tracy

I was on an anti depresant called amytriptiline actually i still am and also take cyclazine, domperidone and propananol(beta blocker) and diazapam when it is really bad.

have you tried any counselling or CBT, i did nit find these particullarly effective but however did try hypnosis which did help me to relax in the short term.

lyndsay[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Learning somebreathing and relaxation exercises will go a long way for you.Once youfind some that work well for you, youcan start to fine tune them a little bit.This is something that will help you in the immediate to calm you downand curb the anxiety and other symptoms. Counseling can be very effective in this regard because it'susually how your treatment will start out. The key in therapy is finding someone who understands and has experience with emetophobia. It may be the 5th most common phobia, butfor some reason I find it's oftenone of the phobias that therapists have the least amount of experience treating.
    A special thank you to my daughter Alyssa. Your strength and courage gives me great inspiration. Where I am weak, you are strong. I will always love you.

no I think that was part of my problem my counseller had no understanding of emet also wanted to do gradual exposure but had no idea what to do i eventually stopped going to see her as it was not getting me anywhere and as you said the deep breathing can be quite effective

Quote Originally Posted by lyndsayanne

hi tracy

I was on an anti depresant called amytriptiline actually i still am and also take cyclazine, domperidone and propananol(beta blocker) and diazapam when it is really bad.

have you tried any counselling or CBT, i did nit find these particullarly effective but however did try hypnosis which did help me to relax in the short term.

lyndsay[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

In the past I've seen a psychologist, psychiatrist, tried cognitive behavioural therapy, group therapy, hypnotherapy. I've learned relaxation excercises, taken classes on meditation and yoga, did a course on stress management and learning to relax, tried self-hypnosis... pretty much anything that I thought may help with anxiety! All of them helped a little but unfortunately not enough to be able to get by without medication.

I don't know whether you spotted my post under the 'questions and answers' part of the dicussion forum regards anti-depressants, but basically what I said was that I am on the anti-depressant seroxat which helps me so much with anxietyand depression, but the side-effect of insomnia has been so bad just lately it's been getting me really down. Anyway I went to the doctors yesterday and she has prescribed a very low dose of amitriptyline to take on top of the seroxat, which should help me sleep. Fingers crossed anyway. CouldI ask you howyou get on withamitriptyline - do you have any unwanted side-effects? My dad is actually on it at the moment and it has helped him a lot.

Tracey x

- Japanese proverb

hi tracy

when i started amytrptiline i wasin hospital so i can not say whether the side effects were down to my anxiety or not because was not in very good state of mind what i will say is that i still take it nearly 2 years later and i do think it helps me hugely i hope this helps you.

lyndsay[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Thanks Lyndsay. I must say since starting the amitriptyline a couple of nights ago I'm feeling pretty good - particularly during the day. I'm still having problems sleeping (not quite as bad as before though) but when I am laid awake I feel more relaxed and am not as fidgety - this in turn helps my fiance as I was disturbing his sleep keep tossing and turning and getting in and out of bed. He said he wasreaching the stage of getting a large polo mallet and making me sleep, lol!

How have you beeen doing this week? Are you getting all the constant news reports up there in Scotland about the svs doing the rounds? They are on tv here constantly - wish they'd shut up about them!

- Japanese proverb

hi

we have not had any reports on the news about sv* since december, however i am meant to be babysitting my neighbours kids on monday and he has been v* all day so i am a tad nervous about it hope he is all right by then!

I'm glad the amytriptiline is helping you with no side effects.