Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default GERD & emetophobia

I知 new here, but something I struggle with is having GERD and dealing with emetophobia. One of the biggest symptoms that I suffer with is upper stomach gas abs nausea and it then sends me into an anxiety attack because I believe I知 going to be getting sick.

Anyone else deal with this problem, how do you cope?

Default Re: GERD & emetophobia

I get it a lot too! My best coping mechanism is keeping snacks on hand that are very plain but mildly salty like crackers or baked chips and eating one when I'm feeling nervous about the upper stomach symptoms. If I eat it easily and feel like I am able to eat more then that soothes my worry, and eases some of the discomfort of the reflux. Popsicles with real fruit juice are also very helpful, soothing the reflux while also being something that won't set off n* in the unlikely instance of actually being s*.

I would be careful about consumption of pepto bismol and antacids because they can make symptoms worse, and while aloe drinks can ease reflux they can cause d*.

Thank you for your advice! I will definitely try out some of those tips!

I had no idea about the pepto making it worse

Hi, yes, I have gerd as well. Mostly it's the acid in my throat and the heartburn. But for n* I always take ginger chews...they really work. I use Prince of Peace brand, yellow package. And also aloe drink, it is very soothing. And I will go slow and eat plain for a few days, oatmeal, rice, soup, plain yogurt or make a smoothie. It's awful, I know...
    "In nothing be anxious....." Phil. 4:6

Omg SAME . I feel the same

Thank you for the advice! I知 going to look into getting ginger chews