Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

I have a question......Do you think it is possible to have a sv and prevent yourself from actually v*? A few weeks ago I was at work and just got this wave of n*, so I started freaking out thinking "Oh my god, this is it!!!" So I'm driving home and crying and trying to talk myself out of it. I got home and took this stuff call Emetrol (which is actually for little kid, ahh I'm ridiculous) and I didnt have a fever, but I was shaking and just felt horrible. I just kept taking that medicine like every so often. It says that you can take it every 15 min. till you stop feeling n*. I never did v*, but I felt really drained the whole weekend. So, do you think there isa chance that could of been a sv or was I probably just freaking myself out?

In a way, I would be glad if that was a sv and I dont have to get it again this year! haha!

wow, I'm not sure but it would be great to hear that you can actually prevent V* with Emetrol! If its true I will be buying some Glad you're feeling better!

Haha! Yeah, I carry that stuff around w/ me all the time, just in case. Its almost just like a security blanket or something. I dont know, it seems to work for me. I was just almost sure that I had some kinda of virus and I didnt know if anyone else had ever had that happen.

well it probably does work I just looked it up and its supossed to work well against a SV ! I wish my dr. told me about this last year when I was suffering with a sv... he told me "nothing you can do, just let it run its course" ...I wish more people understood

I'm right there w/ ya. My boyfriend was kinda makin fun of me b/c its for children and I was like, "Hey, you don't understand, I'll take ANYTHING to make me feel better!!!"

ahaha yeah same here, I will take anything if it will make me feel better! I think its mostly for kids because they tend to get more ill and have a greater chance of dehydration. I'm pretty sure it has the same effect on adults though, just from what I was searching on goodle about it. I'm definatly going to ask my Dr. about it just to see what he thinks about it. I'm gonna get some to keep around the house anyways

Well, I'm glad I could help!

thank you very much I'm hoping more people will reply with their experiences too!

i always find that Gravol ALWAYS makes me fell better and i never v* if i take it...well, except for one time but anyway...

good luck!

-hayley

Thanks Hayley! Is that something you can purchase at like the drug store or something? I've never heard of it.....

I just bought a bottle of Emetrol (just in case) the other night, and the label says it's also for adults...it recommends a larger dose for grown-ups. Anyhow, I read on another emet site that pepto bismol is another good way to prevent v*--it decreased the chances of v* in people who experimented with ipecac. The site also said dramamine is another good one--you know that stuff to prevent motion sickness.

Most people can will themselves to not v* by interrupting the chain of physiological events prior to the actual v* stage. Emets do this all the time, but I guess most non-emets don't fight it often as we do.

Nikki

Yeah, I like to stock up on all medicine!!!

Yes, Liz, there are some ways of preventing vomiting that are even better than Emetrol. That concoction is fine for adults to take too. You can read more about these ways of preventing vomiting in an article I wrote called "Frequently Asked Questions about Vomiting" (the Vomiting FAQ). It can be found here: http://faq.emetophobia.net/vomiting.html

The pill Hayley refers to is called Gravol in Canada and Dramamine in the U.S. Look for the active ingredient dimenhydrinate.

Doug

Actually, I am pregnant and one of the meds that is safe to take is Emetrol for v* and n*. (morning sickness) It's also use for an sv* they say. I took it once but it didn't help much, I think I felt sick though from an empty stomach. When my daughter has had sv*s in the past I usually live on Pepto Bismol for a few days straight to try to avoid v*ing if I would catch it. Of course one of the biggest symptoms for most emets is stomach problems because of the anxiety and I do take Pepto a lot to help with the n*. I also have Emetrol on hand since my OBGYN said it's save to take and will use it if needed!

I always have 3 bottles of Emetrol (well, the Wal Mart version) at all times: one in my bathroom (upstairs), one in the medicine cabinet (downstairs), and one in my purse. I sip it out of the bottle if I need it. It worked wonders when I was pregnant. I also keep Pepto and Dramamine too.

Amanda, thats exactly what I do. I have one bottle at home and then one in my purse that I sip out of if I feel bad, haha!

I'm going to check out Dougs website though!
    All that we send into the lives of others,
    comes back into our own.

Another product I have found useful is Bonine, another motion sickness medicine. The active ingredient is meclizine. I take this frequently, but it makes me tired. Has anyone tried the motion sickness wrist bands? I have used them, but I'm not too sure that they work.

Gravol is Dramamine. It confused me for the longest time when I heard
    Canadians or people from the UK talking about Gravol, but I eventually
    looked it up and found it's just another word for the drug we know as
    Dramamine here in the United States.

I'm kind of curious about this Emetrol stuff. I'm not convinced there's
    any reason it should work, though. It's just sugar and phosphoric acid,
    so theoretically that should be the same as drinking flat coke to help
    nausea.

I once read on a form here that the active ingredient in Benadryl has
    anti-emetic properties like Dramamine and Phergren do. It isn't maketed
    for that purpose, though, and I've never taken it for that reason so I
    don't have any anecdotal evidence as to whether it works or not.

I want to go to the store and buy 10 boxes of gravol..... pop one a day keeps the v* away!! ahaha joking. But really I would feel safer if i had meds with me just incase I encounter something disturbing that would make me want to v*.
    Joined in 2006. For all those that have helped me I hope I can offer some help for those who seek it now.