Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Can Emetophobics Learn not to Vomit? Vomit free for 29 years

Hi I am new here. I have been an emetophobic for 29 years. And it has been 29 years since I last vomited.
    I have been in therapy for the past 9 years working on my phobias.
    I have 3 children and a husband. I work so hard in therapy because I never ever want my kids to have this fear.
    I know asking this question isn't helping me but I do want to know if it's possible to be vomit free?

Can you teach yourself to not throw up? Is it possible to avoid getting norovirus if others in your house have it?
    How long (in years) have others gone not vomiting? Have you avoided getting norovirus if others in your house get it?

Can taking prescription anti nausea drugs help if you do get it?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Default Re: Can Emetophobics Learn not to Vomit? Vomit free for 29 years

Welcome, JC! I have been vomit free for 43 years. I have probably gotten norovirus in that time but I have not vomited from it. You can be careful about handwashing and use tricks and anti-emetics to keep from vomiting with various illnesses.

I use Pepto-Bismol when I'm feeling unwell and I keep Gravol (Dramamine) suppositories on hand for when things get really bad. Pepto-Bismol is powerful enough at suppressing the vomiting center in the brain that it can counteract a small dose of syrup of ipecac. Dramamine prevents ordinary vomiting too and is not only for motion sickness. I only take Pepto-Bismol a few times a year and I've only ever used a Gravol suppository twice.

When you get to 10 posts, you can see the link to my web site about vomiting. Emetophobia dot scienceontheweb dot net

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if I were sick I would simply not vomit. like rip to everyone but I'm different

In all seriousness a lot of sources I've read on emet stuff say that a ton of emets have very strong "vomit continence," holding it back in situations where most people wouldn't be able to (even if we'd be better off just letting go lol)

I went 34 years without vomiting, never took anything for it, total will power, but caught a sickness bug, which broke my cycle, if you if you need to vomit, u will, even you Doug, it felt so much better afterwards.
    Last edited by zombie0037; 10-17-2019 at 11:21 AM.

Doug, does plain old pepto really suppress the VC? THAT would be amazing. More info on the pink pill please.

Yes, it does. See Marvin M. Goldenberg, et al, "Antinauseant and Antiemetic Properties of Bismuth Subsalicyclate in Dogs and Humans," Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 65: 1398-1400 (1976)
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

I hate to break it to you guys but last time I v*d I had been slamming the pepto granted I v*d because of green out. Maybe it works if you're sober, idk.

I think that a lot of emets have very strong willpower and will do a lot not to throw up. I try to remember that our bodies will only make us sick as a last resort and it's always better to throw up than to not. I've got a 6 year streak at the moment.

I wouldn't think so, it's a reflex. Maybe in certain situations you can fight the urge but highly doubt you can stop it with willpower if you have a bug