Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Well, it's been here for awhile but NOT at my son's daycare. I took him in last Friday (Thank God I didn't take him on Thurs. as this is when it started) andas usual I ask, "Has anyone been sick?" the teacher tells me, "Yes, we have the d* and the v*." I said, "We'll see you next week." Really thinking in my head next month. So now because of my stinking phobia I have to reaarange my whole schedule, ask my mom to watch Christopher and go into work late for ATLEAST the next 2 weeks. I can't stand this. He got soo sick last year from daycare with that so do you think I'm wrong not taking him if I know he could possibly avoid it? Then I think to myself, "Well what if when he does go back and gets it or picks something else up and I kept him home for nothing?" I don't know what to do. This is our time of the year to get it. Ipassed my dates which was April 5th of last year and April 16th 2 years ago and April 11th of 4 years ago. (Thankfully I didn't v* any of the times) His birthday is May 2nd and I just don't want him being ill for it.

Anyways, it seems as though this thing is just sticking around everywhere. Once I don't hear to much about itand it seems to be dying down I hear someone say, "Aww, I was soo sick v*ing, d*" blah blah blah. Last week I went to the hospital with severe pelvic pain (history of ovarian cysts) and the doc. who treated me had it. As a matter of fact that was his first day back to work. Knowing me I asked 5000 questions and felt like a retard. I tried to act cool but needless to say I was freaking out inside, almost to the point where I wanted to cry and tell him to get another doc. He even did an internal on me! I freaked out until about Sat. when I thought I was probably out of the woods for catching it. God, I just hate this. My thoughts are consumed. I'm already thinking about next s/v season and summer isn't even here yet! Will this ever end?
    Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus.- Colossians 3:17

You poor thing. I have done exactly the same. Dont worry. You have to do what you feel is right. You are not silly, you are like the rest of us.

This phobia is the pits. I wish it would go away. I am the same. If i hear someone has been ill- i ask so many questions, they must think"what is she like"! But we are all scared of something. He is your son and you can do what you feel is right. However, he will need to build up his immune system and when he starts proper school, you wont be able to take him off like this.

Be strong and hope you are feeling better.

Lots of love from England, Uk.

xxx
    Big hugs
    Fifi
    xxxxx

I would be as freaked about it as you are. I've never admitted this out loud before, and my husband would roll his eyes at me for sure, but when I was deciding whether to go back to work or not after my 2nd baby, the fact that both my kids would have to be in daycare and all those germs was a factor. After my 1st baby, my mom watched him while I worked, but she can't do that anymore so I'm a stay at home mom. My son starts kindergarten in September and I'm already stressing about it, even though I know there's not really anything I can do. We can't raise them in a bubble, I guess.

I know the urge to ask a million questions to any sick person you come across. At least he was a doctor, and would know about good hygiene hopefully.

I know what you mean, too, when you say you just start to relax and then it pops up again.

I am always asking so many questions to people who are or have been sick. I like to get the info so I can determine for myself if I have a chance of getting sick. I know it sounds silly but I think about the last few days to see if I was exposed to the same germs they were. I would do the same things with my girls as you did with your son. I don't know if it is the right thing, but I know that our phobia does not always allows to do the right thing

I was in your EXACT same situation one month ago (I'm in TN), I saw on
    the news the sv* was going around here and when I took my daughter in
    to her preschool program I asked the teacher if she she knew if any of the
    kids have had it, and she said yes, about 1/4 of the class was out v* with
    the sv*, I swear I yanked my daughter up so fast, and ran out of there and
    kept her out for two weeks. I finally brought her back making sure her
    teachers said it was all gone, the first week back- fine, the second week
    back- guess what she gets the sv* anyway- v*ing every 30 minutes for
    half the night. At the end she would cry, get up and walk over to the
    towel and v* herself (she is only 2 1/2- that is how many times she v*)
    So my answer is no, I don't think you are overeacting, but you can only do
    so much (like me) and there is no guarantee he won't just get it when he
    goes back.Edited by: lgood22573

My daughter got it last year in April and this year in April too! You're not
    in TN are you?

LISA WHERE ARE YOU IN TENN.? I WAS IN TN. FOR 2 WEEKS IN OCT. CLEVELAND AND CHATANOOGA.

Right beside Nashville in a town called Goodlettsville.

Wow second time in an hour i've heard of Goodlettsville today, I just saw a guy on Judge Judy from there!
    ~Sheri~

Lisa. No, I'm in Harrisburg P.A.

I don't know what to do. I would be soo angry if he got it when I took him back. Was the virus at your daughters daycare most;y contained? Did anyone still have it? I will call them and ask them if anyone else has it and how long has it been since someone did if they tell me noone else has it. How long does s/v usually hang around after it has 'made its rounds'? Gosh I might say the hell with that school and try to get him in or in woth someone else. Gosh, I hate this.
    Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus.- Colossians 3:17

Lisa did you get it from your daughter? Did you get a touch of it?

I know some people from Goodlettsville......
    ~Mandi~

Here's the thing, no matter where he is in the world, he will be exposed to viruses. Whether it be now or when he goes to kindergarten, it's going to happen. I don't blame you at all for not sending him right now if there are lots of kids out sick with it, especially in a day care situation. (because I would assume that lots of kids come even when they are sick since thier parents more than likely have to work). But I don't think it's constructive to think of him as being doomed if and when he does return. Chances are he's already come into contact with it and you were not aware.

Have you thought of getting a sitter for him that would either come to your home or one who has a few other kids in her home?

Just try to not worry so much about it. Everytime you alter your life because of your phobia, the phobia wins and becomes stronger. I know it's hard because we can't stand when our kids are sick, but it's kind of neccessary for growth.

\"This too shall pass\"

I did ask her teacher if ANYONE still had the sv* when I brought her back
    and she said no one had been absent in a week and that she was sure it
    was gone- but she got it anyway. Yes- I did get it from my daughter and
    not just a "touch" of it. I was desperately sick. The ONLY reason I did not
    v* like my daughter and husband is that (and I am ashamed to admit this
    emet action). I refused to eat for 2 days after Skylar started v* in fear I
    would get it. Sure enough 48 hours later, hubby and I both got it but I
    hadn't eaten so I did not v* like he did. But I did have d*, chills, and bad
    abdominal cramping. The cramping was the worst. I think the virus at
    the time was "here and there" all over my town, but her daycare is the
    only place she ever goes, so I know she caught it there. I know I caught it
    from her BEFORE she showed any symptoms- she drank from my diet
    coke (I caught her sneaking a sip) about 4 hours before she started v*
    and then I drank the rest of it. My mom also caught it from her BEFORE
    she showed any symptoms. So I am guessing that even though no one at
    my daughters' daycare was sick at the time, someone had it in the
    incubation period and gave it to her. It's enough to make an emet's head
    spin! So you just can't ever be really sure, just because someone isn't
    sick at the moment, you just never know when they are incubating
    something without any symptoms yet. And I know at my daughter's
    daycare where they are 2, 3, and 4 they do their best to keep them away
    from each other's sippy cups and food, they constantly still sip from each
    other's cup and put things in their mouth.

Its a tough call. The sv has been going around here since Christmas. Finally the week before Easter, my son's school nurse told me that "finally" the stomach virus seemed to have disappeared. My son was off of school for Passover/Good Friday/Easter long weekend (Wednesday through Monday). Guess what? Sunday night he got the sv.

By the way, the sv is circulating around here - AGAIN.

I think if the school is in an outbreak, meaning 25% or more of the kids getting sick, you should take your child out of school until it winds down. Other than that, the sv will circulate from November through April. There is no way to completely avoid it.

Stella

I know I can't keep him out of school when he starts regular school but since this is just daycare I don't care too much. I have accepted the fact that yes, he will probably get a s/v again. Its just that I'm so frightened that I will catch it from him. I got it from him last year when he caught it. Thankfully I only had d* though for about 4 days straight and bad chills. I'm even okay with the fact with taking care of him when he does have it as long as I don't get it. Last year I was a real trooper. I guess my motherly instincts just kicked in and I dealt with it (but praying I wouldn't get it which I did.) The last day he was in daycare was last Tuesday. Last Tuesday nigh he said his tummy hurt. I asked every 5 mins. if his tummy hurt.lol. Anyways, he might as well have been exposed to it, I don't know? When I took him on Fri. (last) thats when his teacher told me kids in his class had it and it had startedthe day before. However, it started in the infant room first 9not sure when that was) I just hope when he does go back he doen't catch it. I didn't even call him off yesterday. All the teachers know how I' am in there and I'm to the point were I'm too embarassed to even ask questions.

Stella...our school systems shut down here...if there are too many teachers our, or students out, they will close it down, and have someone come in and clean EVERYTHING! Thank god it has never happened to my childs school!