Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Friend feeling sick..i feel like a bad friend

Hello there everyone, I haven't been on here for the longest time..years.
    Something really difficult is happening this week which i feel so ashamed of and pathetic..my very good friend is on new medication for a condition- she has increased dosage in the past few days and is feeling very nauseated. We usually met for a morning coffee which would be tomorrow- she is the type of person that will still come out even if feeling ill..not like me or others on here I imagine. I feel panicky just thinking about it and have made an excuse as I might have to run if she says she feels like she will throw up. She must think what a foul friend I am- I can't possibly explain as it is not understandable to people unless they have this. I can't stop thinking about it and what to do. I thought i could pop up to her house and secretly leave some flowers but she would hate that i didnt come in. I feel so guilty- and obsessed about itIt is so frustrating that people don't get it..people think i don't travel because I hate flying..when you try to explain its not about planes they say catch a boat- and you have to say i can't do boats either. A friend wanted to drive me to a lovely festival recently but I couldn't go as its over a long windy hill and how pathetic and ungrateful it sounds to say aw I don't want to go because i get sick. They just say take a anti sickness pill but they don't understand the fear of being trapped in a car and getting sick is terrifying and you can't risk taking a pill in case it doesn't work. Sorry for that long rant!!! Take care everyone xo

Default Re: Friend feeling sick..i feel like a bad friend

The good news is you can't catch something that can cause vomiting by being around someone who is vomiting from a prescription reaction. It might even give you a chance to reduce your anxiety about vomiting. Maybe you should even be there if it happens! I became less anxious by being around people vomiting in college when I knew they were merely drunk and I couldn't catch anything.

Most likely your friend understands that people generally don't want to be around a vomiting person and isn't holding it against you personally.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.