Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Fears of getting salmonella and becoming really ill

I have just joined the forum, I suffer from OCD and anxiety and one of my worst fears is getting salmonella or e.coli, I know salmonella is more common than e.coli. I am British and although salmonella outbreaks have been more common in the US, there was a nationwide scare here about 30 years ago involving eggs. I was only 9 at the time and one boy about my age (who actually lived a few miles from me) had salmonella and he tragically died. I can still remember the newspaper saying how he went to hosptial "with severe gastroenteritis and later developed blood poisoning".

Apparently, blood poisoning from salmonella is very rare although I have still seen many news articles that say about people being admitted to hospital with salmonella. But many websites say salmonella isn't normally a serious illness in most people, only in young children, elderly people and those with underlying health problems.

I have never had any kind of food poisoning and I have rarely suffered from diarrhoea (or vomiting). I only had about two mild bouts of diarrhoea and vomiting as a child and never anything as bad as norovirus, or as an adult. But fears of salmonella really scare me, I fear eating many products containing eggs and I am also concerned about eating things like pate and processed meats products, such as microwave burgers, even though I have always liked both.

Default Re: Fears of getting salmonella and becoming really ill

Salmonella is a rare condition. It is also rarely fatal. There was a salmonella outbreak in the US involving ice cream some years ago. 200,000 people got sick, but no one died.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    Salmonella is a rare condition. It is also rarely fatal. There was a salmonella outbreak in the US involving ice cream some years ago. 200,000 people got sick, but no one died.
    I'm not just afraid of salmonella being fatal, I am concerned about having to go to hospital with it. I am not 100% sure if most cases need hospital admission or not

Hospitalization is rare with salmonella. It is not much different from getting a stomach virus and spending a day recovering from it. The most typical symptom is diarrhea. Fewer people vomit from it.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Hospitalization is rare with salmonella. It is not much different from getting a stomach virus and spending a day recovering from it. The most typical symptom is diarrhea. Fewer people vomit from it.
    I didn't know salmonella could only last a day, I read it was 4-7 days. I am not sur eif the media generally tries to scare people by claiming salmonella is "deadly", as I have seen this mentioned in a few articles

Yeap I heard the same, it's not like you will die from it.