I have just joined the forum, I suffer from OCD and anxiety and one of my worst fears is getting salmonella or e.coli, I know salmonella is more common than e.coli. I am British and although salmonella outbreaks have been more common in the US, there was a nationwide scare here about 30 years ago involving eggs. I was only 9 at the time and one boy about my age (who actually lived a few miles from me) had salmonella and he tragically died. I can still remember the newspaper saying how he went to hosptial "with severe gastroenteritis and later developed blood poisoning".

Apparently, blood poisoning from salmonella is very rare although I have still seen many news articles that say about people being admitted to hospital with salmonella. But many websites say salmonella isn't normally a serious illness in most people, only in young children, elderly people and those with underlying health problems.

I have never had any kind of food poisoning and I have rarely suffered from diarrhoea (or vomiting). I only had about two mild bouts of diarrhoea and vomiting as a child and never anything as bad as norovirus, or as an adult. But fears of salmonella really scare me, I fear eating many products containing eggs and I am also concerned about eating things like pate and processed meats products, such as microwave burgers, even though I have always liked both.