Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Okay, I think I'm beyond feeling crazy right now - but I keep on having panic attacks in the shower. I hate being in the bathroom at my house. I feel so enclosed and trapped and I keep on having stupid panic attacks while I'm trying to wash my hair! It doesn't happen all the time, but it is starting to annoy me greatly...

Is anyone else like this?
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I used to have panic attacks all the time in the shower or tub! Actually, when I was first pregnant, the panic attacks were so bad (from fear of m/s) I avoided them. I would have a QUICK bath every three or fourdays [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]. Luckily for everyone else, I was too scared to go anywhere anyway!

It did pass, and hopefully it will fo ryou too. Try relaxation techniques like visulization. Or, maybe keep your eyes closed (most of the time) while in there. Try putting some lavender in a sink filled with hot water before you go in.

Hope you feel more comfortable soon!

Crystal
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

I used to be that way. It wouldn't happen in the shower or the bath, but when I was washing my hair under the faucet in the tub. I always wash my hair separate for some reason. Probably b/c it tends to get knotted up. It was never really an actual attack, but more like anxiety. I would always try to focus on something else. It usually works. I used to always feel too enclosed or trapped in the shower for some reason. You just have to tell yourself that you are in a safe place. Say to yourself, I am ok. I'm fine. I know this may sound stupid, but it works.

I try the deep breathing before I go in and I even leave the curtain partly open. Our bathroom has TWO doors, so I keep the door open between the two rooms. I think it has to do with our bathroom doesn't even have a REAL WINDOW!! The window leads out to another room in the house (it is a high window). When I shower, my back is toward both doors.

This only happens sometimes and usually I have to be under a lot of stress before hand. Right now, I'm totally stressed. I haven't been able to find placements for work and a family member is moving to live near us (REALLY stressful and lengthy situation there). Sometimes I just cannot handle a shower when I have all of the free-floating anxiety stuff going on. It is like, I don't want to be trapped because I am already trapped with my thoughts.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, yet I kinda wish I were the only one because I hate knowing that others are experiencing this drama too.

Princessmel -- do you have long hair too? My hair is down to my waist and I totally understand the knotting issue... argh... Thank goodness for strong conditioner [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm so glad you posted this! I get them int he shower sometimes. Just an overwhelming trapped feeling, like if I feel sick already or lightheaded I worry too much I think about what if's. I have a shower radio in my shower and that does seemt o help because I can listen to music and pay attention tot hat instead of how I feel. I really thinkit's because a shower is one of the only times we are somewhere w/o any real way out (especially if you have shampoo in your hair) and it's like "OK I'm in here, can't just walk away" plus there isn't anything else holding our attention. Normally we can watch tv, read a book, call a friend, get online etc if we feel off. You'd think bathing would be enough distraction lol. Anyhow, your'e not strange.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Ugh I get panic attacks in the shower to sometimes....they suck [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

I too have had this. Don't know why. I think sometimes it is the fear of possibly having one while in a state where you are somewhat incapacitated. It sucks.