Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hey All

Its been a little while. I've been working with a therapist to try to cure this phobia. This woman is absolutely amazing. I have never spoken to anyone so understanding in all my life. She is using this technique called Emotional Freedom Technique. There have been studies done on it, if any of you are interested in learning about it, there are tons of sites on the internet. Anyway, it sounds hoaky and I was skeptical at first for sure. Its similar to Acupuncture, but there are no needles involved. You use your fingertips to tap on certain pressure points in your body, such as your collarbone, your browbone area, temple, undereye, upperlip, lower lip, underarm, etc. Each point represents a meridian in your body, which in turn represents an emotion. For example, under your eye represents fear or anxiety. Anyway you go with what you're feeling, such as "I'm scared of throwing up" and you tap on eachspot until the anxiety for that goes down. I don't really know how it works and i realize that it sounds completely ridiculous, but I have used this for another situation and I swear on my LIFE, it turned me around. I left after one session feeling like a completely new person. To use it for this phobia may take awhile, but I'm willing to put the time in.

The reason I'm writing, aside from offering you guys this bit of info on this technique, is that shehad asked me an interesting question and she wanted me to think about it before our next session. She wanted to know what I thought my life would be like WITHOUT this phobia. She has a feeling Iam afraid of that. And I think i am. For x amount of years I have been petrified of vomiting. I have molded my life into rituals, behaviours, thoughts, etc, so that I can avoid vomiting, catching the flu, etc, at all costs. What would Ibe like if suddenly I woke up and wasnt afraid anymore?Is that thought scary to any of you?

I guess I'm just curious to know how you guys would all react if you suddenly were rid of this godforsaken fear. I knowat first glance I think I would be absolutely ecstatic. But then my whole life would change. I would have to alter my way of living TOTALLY. I guess I would almost feel empty because I would be rid of all those thoughts,and behaviours. my mind would feel empty because I'm so used to thinking about it all the time.

I was wondering if I could have your input on this... I think its aninteresting concept.

Thanks...

Lisa

Thanks for that info Moonshyne.It is really interesting, I am going to look it up on the internet now!

Do you know, I think I would be calmer than I am right now if I didnt have this horrible phobia. At the moment, I feel really irritable and short tempered because I am on tenderhooks about all thesesvs that are going round at the moment. I feel so sorry for my poor son and husband because I feel like every time they speak to me I am short with them and irritable.

Neesy

i agree with neesy

in the winter months i feel likie i am constantly avoiding svs and therefore can be very uptight and unable to relax

lyndsay

That is really an interesting technique! I can't imagine waking up and not being afraid anymore. Acutally, last night and today have been pretty good. I went to be last night and didn't feel sick and woke up this morning feeling great and haven't had a panic attack yet! I did go to the store w/ my boss earlier and was a little nervous just b/c I've been trying to avoid public places until this season is over, but I did good. I was kinda weirded out a little. But it felt great! I don't think I would be scared if it was just gone one day! I would feel very relieved! Like a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I've been kinda shopping around for therapists to go to. I got a call back from one and talked to her on the phone for about 1/2 hour last night. She really made me feel good. Maybe that's why I'm having a good day. She was just being so positive and telling me that I was going to be okay and how she was glad that I want to get a grip on this now while I'm young. One thing she did say was that she doesnt thing my emet is the main problem. She thinks I use that kinda asa crutch for something else??? What do you guys think about that? It really confused me b/c my emet is the MAIN thing I worry about all the time! I mean, ALL the time!

I know this post was open a while ago, but I just bought a book about EFT. I tried using it last night, and I think it lessened by anxiety a bit. I am going to continue using it and see if I can beat this thing! Have you had anymore success with this?

There's another thread about this, too. I used it some with my therapist during treatment, but my phobia was too severe for it to help much. However, I ended up cured, so who knows how much it contributed? It certainly helped me with some other issues like anger, and one day when I had general anxiety and suffered memory loss. One session of that and my memory was back. It was very cool.

As for living without the phobia, my treatment was a slow process that happened in two sections. 20 years ago I went through treatment that really helped me not fear myself vomiting anymore...it was a slow process. Not like I just "woke up" one day and the phobia was gone. I stopped worrying about what I ate, where I went, etc...over time. I still feared other people like you wouldn't believe, though. Five years ago I started that treatment intensively. I can't describe to you exactly how it feels...but it's beyond belief, beyond wonderful. I wouldn't trade it for a life of terror and horror, worry and fretting and suspicion about everything. A life of missed opportunities and broken promises. (That's what my life was like with the phobia). The best feeling is sitting on an airplane as it's taking off. When I feel that "lift" into the air...I feel it in my spirit and I smile.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi, when I first registered here I posted about EFT I went to see a practioner and it really helped. I am so much better now than i have ever been. I only went to see her once but in that space of time it dramatically decreased my phobia. I bought a book before i went and I am using that at home now. I feel my phobia is getting less each day and i can't describe to you how it feels-I feel on top of the world! EFT is supposed to be good as it's described as "the therapy to use when nothing else works" it's a last resort almost and EFT normally works on people nothing else will. I find it so great as you can use it on anything. I had a big fear of flying and last week I used EFT on it for about 30mins and It's gone-I MEAN COMPLETELY GONE!!! I am going away in 2 weeks and when i think about getting on the plane it doesn't provoke any emotional response other than excitement. I really hope it works for you and you get to feel the freedem i felt after using this amazing technique. (by the way just incase anyone has been trying it-i know it seems easy but you have to do it perfectly-according to my practioner-for it to have an effect-so don't give up if you think it's not working just practise and perfect it!)

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

x x x

I finally found a therapist who uses EFT and who has treated emetophobia. I'm so excited! Just what I have tried using the EFT at home, I feel some relief. My anxiety around vomiting has definitely decreased. I have had a couple of long car rides and a shopping trip to about 4 stores without ANY panic at all. That is a huge step for me! My husband was sick last Friday, and I was pretty nervous. I started EFT Saturday, and it has definitely helped. I am still washing my hands like crazy, but I am able to eat. And when I get a little cramp or a hot flash, or anything that would normally send me into a complete panic that I was going to be sick, I am able to stay calm and not flip out.

I think that at this point, there is a part of me afraid to "release" the
    phobia because in a way, I feel protected. As much as I HATE feeling like
    this, I also feel comforted in a way because I have read a lot about how
    emets have "trained" their brain to not vomit. I am nervous about giving
    that "protection" up. I think that the therapist that I saw a while ago tried
    EFT, but at that point, we were trying all kinds of things for a quick fix
    and nothing in particular worked. I think that you have inspired me to try
    again. With my summer vacation around the corner, I'll have more time
    to devote to it.
    Julie

that sounds like a very interesting technique! cool and... yes, I've thought about it, and I am a little scared about what life would be without this phobia.... it would be great to be able to support people when they're sick, and not worry about becoming sick myself... but in all honesty, I sort of feel that if I didn't have emet, I'd have something else... like I'd end up anorexic :/ I know that's kind of weird to think... but there's been times where I just don't want to eat, and end up eating only because I'm worried that not eating would make me n* and v*. In a way, my emet forces me to take care of my body, to keep my immune system healthy so I don't get sick.... but at the same time, I really do hate being emet. It's horrible. It would be nice to not worry about it, espescially when moving out soon... I would love to go to college, and be able to party without worries about someone getting sick and v* near me.